You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, July 14th 2006, 3:46am

first post....SAFE-T-LAWN heads

****o all,

What a great site! Full of info. Maybe someone can give me insight....

We have just recently bought a new (to us) old home on 3.5 acres. It is waterfront with 2 lake pump systems providing the water. My question is: the system has been sitting inactive for years. I finally got it fired up after replacing one of the 2 hp pumps. I got broken pipe all over that me and my 2 boys are fixing. Some of these old "safe t lawn" heads are broken as well and need replacing. There are many of em that still work very well (they seem to be well made). I am wondering what type of heads to use for replacement of the broken ones. They are 3 1/2 inches wide at the top and 4 1/4 inches tall with 3/4 inch pipe thread. They are chrome or stainless on top and look like competition heads, I kinda like the performance look.....I'm a old car guy :>)

Thanks you !
..."some gave all, KIA"...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 14th 2006, 6:03am

Rainbird R-50 heads are a natural replacement for those Safe-T-Lawn heads. Same ball-drive mechanism. Same ability to run on lower pump pressures (although if you have two pumps in series, you probably have plenty of pressure) with nozzles that spread the water quite thoroughly. You need 'swing' pipe to set taller modern heads in place of the older ones, but swing joints are worth having anyway.

Note that you have to alter a stator setting when you switch nozzles on a R-50. Old fashioned, but a feature that can come in handy with really low pressures.

By the way, if the old heads are set too low, and aren't turning, you can sometimes 'work' the bearing back into turning freely again, by pressing down on the head, while turning it back and forth. You can feel the head freeing up.

Saturday, July 15th 2006, 5:34am

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot! BTW, the pumps are running two seperate systems.
..."some gave all, KIA"...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 15th 2006, 7:04am

Then you should definitely consider the R-50 heads. Some of the Safe-T-Lawn heads were configured to run at pressures far lower than standard gear-drive heads are designed for. You can 'trick' an R-50 to run at lower-than-usual pressures by setting the stator for one notch smaller than the installed nozzle.

Rate this thread