You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 24th 2006, 8:56am

how to connect copper pipe to poly pipe?

Does anyone know the answer to the question in the subject? The reason for asking is I have decided to run poly for the whole system with a master valve installed right after the PVB. I am currently not sure how to connect the valve to the copper pipe after the PVB using poly line. I don't want to use PVC for the connection because I am in Minnesota and I will use poly pipe with psi value of 160 or 200 for this connection and the rest using psi 100 pipe.

I am also planning on not grouping valves together in manifolds. I will run the main supply line through each individual valve and T off at the location to add laterals. Will a blazing saddle be adequate for making the branch or is a regular poly T connector preferred?

I have learned so much from the forum here and thanks in advance for any advice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 24th 2006, 2:25pm

Using poly with a very high psi rating for a mainline is an extravagance, unless some compelling reason exists for doing so. (Cold weather isn't one of them) The strongest possible fittings for connecting high-psi poly tubing are the waterworks compression fittings used by utility companies.

Blazing saddles are for connecting heads, and heads only. Frankly, they are not in the same weight class as a system with a 200 psi mainline.

Monday, July 24th 2006, 5:11pm

Very well...I guess I will just use the standard copper female adaptor -> pvc male adapter -> valve route then.

The reason I was thinkin using poly pipe as the main is because the main line is going to be really short (only spans from after the PVB to the master valve which will be sitting pretty much right next to the PVB). By using poly across the board, I will save the trouble of getting anything remotely connected to using PVC pipes (primer, glue, brushes, etc.)

Thanks for clearing up on the blazing saddle usage. I will use the standard poly T connectors as you suggested.

I do have one more question. Where should I install the blow out fixture for winterization? The guide from Rain Bird's web site only show 3/4'' threaded T downstream of the PVB but before the firt valve. Is it adequate for hooking up to air compressors?

Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 25th 2006, 5:43am

I think the cost of avoiding PVC usage is higher than the cost of primer and glue. You could always manifold your valves near the house, and use copper pipe and fittings upstream of the valves. Hard to beat that, until you have to pay for it.

lush96

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 21st 2007, 7:29pm

use a brass valve for the master. then use a copper by female fitting and poly by male adapter.

Rate this thread