You are not logged in.

mrfixit

Friday, August 18th 2006, 2:38pm

Help finding old tool

Hi there, I've been looking for a specific tool for many years now. It was made by RainJet. I do have the 1" tool. Even though I haven't seen the 3/4" tool I'm certain it must exist. I don't "have" to have the tool to do my job. I just want it on my truck. I always say you can never have to many tools. The guy who I got the 1" tool from said he had the 3/4" but he never found it and has since passed on. Here's a link to a picture and description of what I'm looking for. I have many more pictures if you need. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you much, Fix!
http://wantitnow.ebay.com/Tool-Vintage-RainJet-Rain-Jet_W0QQadidZ160017312267QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWINQ3aPOST
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 18th 2006, 3:14pm

What is such a tool good for? I thought RainJet used their own compression fittings to join poly pipe together.

mrfixit

Friday, August 18th 2006, 3:33pm

I live in a very unique city. Once upon a time Redlands had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the world. It was a tourist vacation get away for the elite. There are over 350 victorian mansions here. It's a very old city. I run across unbelievable things to repair. This tool was used specifically to score the outside of a black flexible later line pipe. Maybe poly-pipe wasn't the correct term. I don't know exactly what it's named. Then a standard galvanized fitting was screwed onto the outside of the pipe. I've found other ways to fix this pipe. Glue will not work. Like I said. I don't "have" to have this tool to do my job. I just want it.

mrfixit

Friday, August 18th 2006, 3:45pm

LOL. I don't even know what a later line pipe is. I meant the pipe is used for lateral lines. =)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 19th 2006, 4:18am

Interesting. Ever use a standard pipe threader on the stuff? I suspect that compression fittings are the practical way to go on the old pipe. The RainJet systems I encountered used their own 'propietary' poly pipe and compression fittings. (the poly pipe was actually one-inch copper-tube-size poly)

mrfixit

Saturday, August 19th 2006, 5:44pm

I considered using a pipe die but I decided against it for a couple reasons. The pipe is flexible. I figure it will bend and twist being too much trouble. I suppose I could insert a wooden dowel inside the pipe before using the die but, the tool doesn't actually cut away at the pipe. It more or less grooves the plastic. It just indents a thread pattern on the pipe to make it easier to screw on the galvanized fitting. I haven't measured the pipe but it's defintely smaller than 3/4" PVC. It could very well be close to a 1" copper. I've seen different outer diameters of this pipe. Just a tiny bit difference. The one time I used a compression coupler it just barely did the job. Was a tad loose. Other than that one, I've never seen a compression coupler on this pipe. I don't know if the compression coupler can get a good grip on a flexible pipe. I haven't seen a compression fitting installed on this pipe but maybe there is a compression fitting that might work. Like a compression adater. Here's how I've been doing it. I just screw the galvanized fitting onto the pipe and the fitting grooves it. It's not easy to turn it but it gets the job done. I've never had one come off. But here's the thing. I basically want the tool just because I don't have one. It's almost an obsession of mine. I've scowered the net. Emailing hard to find tool sites. Emailed a company that has old RainJet product. I've been to swap meets. I'm always looking for one hanging on someones garage wall I could buy. I've found other RainJet tools hanging on peoples walls. I found the 1" that way. Nobody's ever charged me for them. Anywho I'm rambling. If someone has one. Charge me double what it's worth. Thank again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 19th 2006, 6:04pm

Compression couplers can do the job, but you might have to carefully measure pipe OD to get the right ones. With (heavy, high-density) polyethylene tubing now being used for water service connections, the waterworks compression connectors are used. They have an inside 'stiffener' insert to go into the tubing, and a metal 'gripper' is part of the compression nut/gasket. They hold.

I imagine a pipe/tubing thick enough to take this threading to be at least of a schedule 40 thickness. A material soft enough to thread this way can't really be capable of sustaining high-pressure connections.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 26th 2006, 8:00am

Are there any other common characteristics of systems using this pipe?

mrfixit

Saturday, August 26th 2006, 9:33am

Hiya Boots. The pipe is actually thinner than sch 40. A 3/4" insert fitting fits snugly. I remember now seeing a system installed with the insert fittings and this pipe. The compression couplings sound interesting. They sound costly though. They wanted 40 bucks for two fittings with the inerts the time I inquired. I forgot the name of them though. I ran across that oddball sized blue pipe they used on some main lines in a couple of tracks here. I made the mistake of cutting it in half. I learned there's a class action law suit against the company who made that stuff. As far as common traits in the systems with the poly pipe installed. Nothing really stands out. The homes range in age from 30-50 years or so. The pipe is always black. All but the one system were installed with galvanized fittings. I've only seen the 3/4" on lateral lines. I did see the 1" on a main line once. All residential. But I do 99% residential work. That's about it Boots. I have no problems repairing a break in the pipe I just want the tool.
HAS ANYBODY SEEN THIS TOOL? *REWARD*

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 26th 2006, 3:06pm

I only use the waterworks compression fittings in rare instances. The fact that they get used to set water meters on copper supply lines, where flared fittings were used in the past, is a testament to their reliability. On sprinkler zone lines, I expect ordinary FloSpan compression couplings could handle most duties.

There is an ancient sort of 'poly pipe' I've seen that might be similar to your pipe. It was a bright green, was connected with insert fittings, and reacted oddly to blowtorch heat when repairing it. It almost had a 'candle wax' feel to it when softened. It also would split crosswise, instead of the usual direction of poly pipe splits.

I know how it can be with tools. I bought a Buckner nozzle wrench online, just to have it.

Rate this thread