You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, August 28th 2006, 10:25am

Controllers to wiring

My question are pretty basic I hope.

System will have 8 zones to begin with. I am planning on purchasing the 5004 PLPC-SS sprinklers and either the ESP-LXi (12 or 16) controller. My questions are:

1) Do I need direct burial wire with at least as many wires as I plan on having zones? (If I plan on having 12 zones eventually, will I need to buy the 13 conductor wire?

2) What type of automatic valves would the forum recommend for a system like this?

Thanks for your input.

mrfixit

Monday, August 28th 2006, 11:14am

Hi. Yes 13 wires it the minimum to run 12 valves. But you may want to take into consideration the possibility that in the future one of the wires might go bad for whatever reason. One time I ran a 10 strand wire and after I was done it turned out one of the wires was bad. There are so many factors to consider. I don't know how far you're running the wires but I would run extra wires just in case. For example. Three sets of 5 strand wire.
As far as the valves go. We need more information. How much water pressure do you have? How much money are you willing to spend? Are you installilng your valves above ground or below? Ect. I know the "ss" in 5004 PLPC SS stands for stainless steel so I'm betting you want something better than average. You're going to get a variety of answers on this question. I like brass valves myself for a variety of reasons. They're easy to repair and the body doesn't crack or split open. I like Superior. Inline or anti-syphon.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

RainMan

Monday, August 28th 2006, 3:25pm

Do you plan to put the valves into a header or will you be putting the valves at the start of each zone? As for valves. I like the Rain Bird DV or DVF Series Valves. Their cost effective
and easy to repair.

RainMan

Blonco

Thursday, October 26th 2006, 8:20am

I just installed my own sprinkler system (7 zones..3 spray zones and 4 rotor zones). I used all rainbird DVF valves...great product.

Rate this thread