You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Stephen 77

Starting Member

Tuesday, September 12th 2006, 5:38pm

Removing old controller valves

I need to replace two old "Champion Classic" bronze solinoid controllers that have begun to leak. They are at least 22 years old and green with corrosion. They are installed over about 1 foot of PVC pipe. How do I get these to unscrew without breaking the PVC? Even the float valve cover is frozen in place. I have purchased new upper controls that should just screw in, but still can't get the old ones off. Any secrets, tips, suggestions? Thanks, Stephen

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 12th 2006, 9:48pm

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Without a doubt you'll need two wrenches. One to hold the brass valve body in place and the other to unscrew the "float cover". Same goes for the valve adapter. It's tricky for one person to do. The last thing you want to do is snap the manifold. Get someone to hold one wrench for you if at all possible. Or a safe way to go would be. Since you have a foot of pvc to work with. Just cut the valves off. And put new male adapters into the brass valve body. Just a hint. Make sure the brass threads are clean before trying to screw in a new adapter. Use teflon tape on the male adapters. I personally use exactly two wraps when screwing a pvc adapter into a brass valve. Make sure they're tight so they don't leak but be careful to not over tighten them. You may also want to look into new float kits. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 13th 2006, 2:48am

Why not unthread the operator part of an all-bress Champion antisyphon valve? Then you can thread in a new operator, like a Lawn Genie or Irritrol.

If the valve still is functioning, as far as turning on and off, then the operator is still good. The vacuum breaker part of any antisyphon valve will need service sooner or later, and you can find a kit of all the replacement parts you need to swap out, once you unthread the vacuum breaker cover.

Rate this thread