You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

markejo

Starting Member

Monday, October 30th 2006, 5:20am

Backflow for "Hose Bib" System

<font face="Arial">
I am thinking about installing a "Poor Man's" sprinkler system (you'll probably think I am crazy when you read this) and need some input on the "plan" and the type of backflow devices that might be necessary.

The "Poor Man's" system consists of connecting multiple poly-pipe lines with pop-up sprinkler heads to my existing hose bibs using the multi-port manifolds and battery powered timers that have recently become available. (I am retired so I have a lot of spare time on my hands). The “plan” calls for 12 separate "main lines", with each main line attached to a separate port on the multi-port manifolds (a manifold attached to 4 separate hose bibs located on the four sides of my home).

My home is on a well and I have sufficient water pressure to drive 3 sprinkler heads on each line. The hose bibs have what appear to be "backflow" protectors built in, or at least they bleed air when the hose is turned off. I do not plan to use the system to fertilizing the lawn, etc.

My questions are:

1. Am I nuts?

2. Do I need additional backflow protection and what kind?

3. If I can install Pressure Vacuum Breakers 12 inches about the downstream lines /sprinklers, is that enough protection?

4. Can I install the appropriate backflow protection device between the hose bid outlet and the multi-port manifold, or do I need a separate device for each main line?

Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

markejo

</font id="Arial">

mrfixit

Monday, October 30th 2006, 1:49pm

1) Yes you're nuts. But what do I care as long as you're not a menace to society.
2) I have absoultely no idea what the backflow laws are in your city. You might want to call and see what the local codes are.
3) Sounds like overkill. One device before the hose bibs would work if installed correctly. Again call the city.
4) Those backflow devices are good enough for a hose. I'm thinking it just might work the way you've described it. But call the city.

Listen up. I'm not qualified to ok you on this design. It sounds like it would work. Those battery operated timers aren't the most reliable of things. But like you said, you have plenty of time on your hands. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 31st 2006, 1:04am

If you got time on your hands, you got time to do some real plumbing, and do a sprinkler system right. One supply line, with the proper backflow preventer, then the system.

Rate this thread