You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hbcsc153

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 12:44am

Pro Impact Rotor Recommendation

Greetings!

I have an existing sprinkler system that is about 30 years old. We are planning to do some landscaping in the next couple of years and after that put a updated (and better designed) sprinkler system. Want to put a temporary solution in place to better water the lawn. It is about 60' x 50', and has 6 sprinklers (full circle, pop-up) in 3 zones, which has pretty poor coverage. I requested a design from Orbit, and they recommend 6 Impact Rotors along the edge in 2 zones.

Is there better quality rotors that I should use which I can reuse when we redo the sprinkler system. Static PSI is 75, and approximately 18 GPM.

Regards,

Emil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 3:45am

For a rectangle that size, 6 heads should do fine. Hunter PGPs are a good choice.

hbcsc153

Saturday, January 13th 2007, 7:41pm

Thanks Wet_Boots!

I remeasured the area as I was guessing before. Anyway, it is more like 55' by 40'. I am assumeing that the 6 PGP's is still valid.

I went to the local Hunter distributor, and they gave me a pretty good price on the PGP's, and other pipes that I needed. Purchased only 2 PGP's to start, and will get the rest as I go along.

Regards,

Emil

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 2:30am

Before you buy the rest of the rotors..give sprinklerwarehouse.com a chance for your business...click the banner up above the forum and get pricing on that same PGP...I have no idea what you are paying at the local distributor...but it could be more. Good luck...

here is the PGP

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=414

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

hbcsc153

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 7:27am

Hi SprinklerGuy!

Thanks for the tip. I did check their price out, and it was very good. The website says $9.28, and as I was experimenting and was planning to swap out just 2 which were in one zone to see how that perform. When I called the local distributor they said it was about $14 to $15 each. My thought was as it is a couple only I will buy local and online order the rest. When I went there they gave it to me 11.83 (plus tax), and they were pretty helpful. As my orders are small, the shipping from online kills the price advantage.

I am an IT guy and therefore checked the online price first. Also am sort of out of my league a bit with sprinklers. Based on Wet_boots recommendation, I tried the PGP's, and they are great. Will swap the other 4 out as and when I get a chance.

Regards,

Emil

Tom

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 11:29am

9 heads will offer more uniform coverage

hbcsc153

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 11:57am

Hi Tom!

Would you say that 9 PGP's would be for 55' by 40' area? My original estimate of the space was wrong. At the moment I am thinking that this is temporary till we decide on the final landscaping.

Regards,

Emil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 18th 2007, 3:11pm

The number of heads would also depend on any trees or other obstructions. Some rectangles will benefit from an extra row of heads (3 heads) down the middle, giving lots of head-to-head overlap. The original 60x50 space, as a perfect rectangle, would not have any dry spots with 6 heads along the edges. If it's only going to be a 40 foot width, and you have plenty (at least 50 psi at the sprinkler head) of pressure, there won't be much need for the extra 3 heads, since you might see more than 40 foot spray distances from the PGP's.

hbcsc153

Friday, January 19th 2007, 1:34am

Hi Wet_Boots!

Thanks for the confirmation. I am pretty happy with the performance of the 2 PGP's that I have put in. Will put in the other 4 as time permits. The rectangle is clear of any trees, but we do have a playset in the middle. As the PGP coverage is pretty good, I am not too worried about the playset.

Regards,

Emil

hbcsc153

Saturday, January 20th 2007, 5:27am

Greetings!

As I am modifying an existing sprinkler system would it be okay to put 6 PGP's on one zone? My house PSI of 80, and I am told that my working preasure is 55 PSI, and I get about 18 GPM and using the number 5 nozzle, it is about 2 GPM per PGP. So, is it a bad idea?

Regards,

Emil

Rate this thread