You are not logged in.

fairplay

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 3:34pm

Disassembly of I-20 Sprinkler Head

Does anyone know how to disassembly a I-20 down to the gears . I broke something in the upper rotor part and removed the rubber cover to see what it was , but there is still a lot to come off , before you can get inside of the head . I have replaced the head and just wondered if the head can be taken completly apart or do I just mechanically force it open .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 5:04pm

Just replace the entire head - they cannot be disassembled and reassembled

fairplay

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 7:51pm

Thanks for the response . Can the spring be replaced ;since , it is shown as a separate part on their parts list . If it can be replaced , how do you take it off and then put a new one on the rotor assembly .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 3:41am

The retraction spring? Yours is broken? I have never seen that before. The rotor part of the head is assembled with ultrasonic welding, and you cannot duplicate that. If a head fails to turn, or won't pop down, or leaks badly, a pro will just replace the whole thing.

fairplay

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 4:47am

Thanks for the explanation on how Hunter assemblies the I-20 . I will stop figuring out how to take it apart .The spring is not broken . The normal way to show a parts list is to picture those parts that are replaceable as individual items or assemblies and give only those a part number . I 'm still curious on what I broke and will now mechanically force it open . Thanks again for you knowledge and explanation .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 6:41am

Stripped a gear, is one possibility. Actual detachment of the upper part of the rotor is either breakage or the weld coming apart. Breakage would be the far more likely of those possibilities. A lot of these plastic assemblies make use of ultrasonic welding.

fairplay

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 8:59am

You were right about the gear . There are very small gears inside the unit . I can see why they use a ultrasonic process to assemble the head assembly , because you would never be able to align and keep the gears in place without it , unless you used machined stainless screws , but this would cause the sprinkler heads to be about $200 a piece and not make much sense in todays competitive market place .I used a PVC cutter to slice the unit in 5 sections to see how it worked . I 'm always amazed at the engineering and manufacturing processes that are used to produce items . This sprinkler is an excellent example of those processes .

Rate this thread