You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fairplay

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 3:34pm

Disassembly of I-20 Sprinkler Head

Does anyone know how to disassembly a I-20 down to the gears . I broke something in the upper rotor part and removed the rubber cover to see what it was , but there is still a lot to come off , before you can get inside of the head . I have replaced the head and just wondered if the head can be taken completly apart or do I just mechanically force it open .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 5:04pm

Just replace the entire head - they cannot be disassembled and reassembled

fairplay

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 7:51pm

Thanks for the response . Can the spring be replaced ;since , it is shown as a separate part on their parts list . If it can be replaced , how do you take it off and then put a new one on the rotor assembly .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 3:41am

The retraction spring? Yours is broken? I have never seen that before. The rotor part of the head is assembled with ultrasonic welding, and you cannot duplicate that. If a head fails to turn, or won't pop down, or leaks badly, a pro will just replace the whole thing.

fairplay

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 4:47am

Thanks for the explanation on how Hunter assemblies the I-20 . I will stop figuring out how to take it apart .The spring is not broken . The normal way to show a parts list is to picture those parts that are replaceable as individual items or assemblies and give only those a part number . I 'm still curious on what I broke and will now mechanically force it open . Thanks again for you knowledge and explanation .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 6:41am

Stripped a gear, is one possibility. Actual detachment of the upper part of the rotor is either breakage or the weld coming apart. Breakage would be the far more likely of those possibilities. A lot of these plastic assemblies make use of ultrasonic welding.

fairplay

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 8:59am

You were right about the gear . There are very small gears inside the unit . I can see why they use a ultrasonic process to assemble the head assembly , because you would never be able to align and keep the gears in place without it , unless you used machined stainless screws , but this would cause the sprinkler heads to be about $200 a piece and not make much sense in todays competitive market place .I used a PVC cutter to slice the unit in 5 sections to see how it worked . I 'm always amazed at the engineering and manufacturing processes that are used to produce items . This sprinkler is an excellent example of those processes .

Rate this thread