You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Monday, February 12th 2007, 1:33am

need more psi at rotors

i have a 11 zone system and a 4" well with a sub pump at the pressure switch the psi is 50 so i know that i am not getting that at the rotor what can i do to increase the psi and gpm at the rotor i was thinking about putting a bigger sub pump with a higher gpm would that increase the gpm and psi at the rotor?i am running 1" pvc class 200 the problem is i have to run some of the zones that are in the large areas like almost 2hrs to put down enough water during the dry season to keep it green

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 12th 2007, 4:24am

50 psi for the pump to turn on? Or 50 psi for the pump to turn off? Or you don't know, but you see 50 psi on the gauge when the system is on?

Less flow equals more pressure. Try smaller nozzles. You might have to adjust the pressure switch so that the pump can run continuously at a higher pressure.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, February 12th 2007, 7:17am

"Try smaller nozzles. You might have to adjust the pressure switch so that the pump can run continuously at a higher pressure."

This wont work!

How many Gpm are you able to get with your pump right now? Going to smaller nozzles will let your system run at higher pressures but will decrease your gpm. If you want to water for a shorted period of time you need more gpm.

If you were to install a larger submersible pump you could achieve this. This is where I get a little foggy. I think if you have a 1 inch drop pipe you may want to go up to 1.25. But again I need to know jow much your well can do now. My bet is you get about 12 now. If so, going up to 20 gpm would be very helpful.
Thanks,

Pete

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Monday, February 12th 2007, 2:10pm

no while a zone is running the pressure gauge reads 50 psi and the pumps comes on and stays on it does not shut off at all while the zones are running ..so i am sure by the time it goes thru the valves and out into the yard at the rotor head is not 50psi..i don't care what the psi is at (well i kinda of do)i think i need bigger nozzles in the rotors so i can get more water out in a shorter time but the pump now i don't thionk i can go much bigger on the nozzles.....

the main line out of the well is 1.25 and i am told by serval well companys that i more then likly have a 1hp and its some where putting out 20-25gpm..i called a pump company today to see what he said he told me i could get a 2hp that puts out 50gpm but with my sprinkler lines only being 1" that the lines will not handle that much flow and will put back pressure on the pump and make the pump go bad faster.......plain english like putting 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag ...what i would like to do is get more flow and install a number 10 hunter nozzle (I20) heads on the full circle heads and a smaller nozzle on the half circle.....i don't want to go to smaller nozzles that will make me run the system longer to get more water out i want to run the zones less and put more water out......

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 12th 2007, 5:38pm

What are the rotor heads used in this system? What kind of soil do you have? Sand? Clay? Loam?

Does the system as it currently set up give you adequate coverage, so far as the spread of water goes? Are the heads spraying far enough? My previous suggestion is one that can give you more pressure at the heads, and that additional pressure may provide a longer throw. If the coverage is thorough, then I wouldn't worry about things. Watering your lawn isn't a race. Some heavier clay soils can't make use of heavy watering anyway. It all just rolls away, instead of penetrating, and water gets wasted.

How much money are you willing to throw at this? Five thousand? Ten? You might need to drill a larger, deeper well to get as much water as you'd want. Plus a new pump. Plus reconfiguring the existing system. There is no guarantee that your existing well is capable of supplying more flow.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 12:35am

the system has k-rains now but they are old and i am switching them all over to hunter I-20'a..well i live in south florida so there is nothing but sand down here.....right now the system has pretty much head to head coverage but in the dry season some of the zones have to run 2hrs ..was just looking to cut down the run time if possible ....i was told that if i do get a bigger pump then yes the well might not handle it ..and no i am not looking at spending 5k on this ..has it stands right now i got most of the problems worked out of the system as far as the head to head coverage was just trying to cut down on some of the run time...........tks for your input wet boots

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 4:11am

You have to run some of your zones for 2 hours? Is this everyday? What is the watering program in the heat of the summer? Have you tried cycling your watering program? Its possible that your overwatering at 2 hours a zone. The water may be draining right past the rootzone.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 6:10am

As long as it can keep the lawn green, I wouldn't worry too much over the current system. It might be possible to open a two zones at once, or a faucet while one zone is running, and get an idea if there's more water in the well. You wouldn't be looking for pressure here, just flow, since a larger pump would supply the needed pressure at a higher flow.

There are a few sprinkler heads that can perform at lower pressures, but their use is somewhat complicated.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 6:34am

I agree with wet boots watering your grass isnt a race. Good advise. I do the same thing at my house during the summer. Actually it is 1.5 hrs/zone and if it works and doesnt interfere with other house hold useage...showers etc... then I too would leave it alone.

How much were you quoted for the 2hp pump?
Thanks,

Pete

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 7:49am

well our dry season is around march where it doesn't rain and starts to get warm and gets windy during the day then i have to run most of the rotor zones 1.5-2 hrs every other day ..i know its not a race but the sprinklers run all night then the next group of zones run the next night.....i am looking at the fertigator right now and looking at installing that.....

pete i have a good friend who owns a well company down here and was going to trade out some work to him to install a new pump with a higher flow but i don't want to do that if its going to cause problems down the road .if its going to cause problems i will leave it alone ........

tks for the help

Rate this thread