You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hbcsc153

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 12:53pm

Backflow Device Recommendatation

****o!

Here is my existing setup. I have line from the water mainline first goes to the front lawn that has 2 Champion brass anti-siphon valves with automatic actuators, and both these lines go to pop-up sprinklers. The water line continues to the back lawn to a Champion brass manual anti-siphon valve and that line splits into 6 zones that have 6 Champion brass anti-siphon valves with automatic actuators. I am not sure what the city requires (LADWP). We may end up with sprinklers that are higher than the valves.

So, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Emil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 9:46pm

If you're going to raise sprinklers, you'd need to raise the vacuum breakers (antisyphon valves) as well. They're gravity devices that need to be higher than what's downstream of them. If you were going to extend the sprinklers up a slope, the usual practice would be to cut a RPZ device into the main supply of the sprinklers. It's elevation-proof.

hbcsc153

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 11:14pm

Hi Wet_boots!

Thanks for the response. My area is pretty flat. We may in the future irrigate an area that is about a foot higher than the present anti-siphon valves. Raising it higher is an option, but the valves are in the middle as it is, and raising it makes it pretty unsightly. I assume that the manual anti-siphon valve that is upstream of the 6 anti-siphon valves with the auto actuators is useless, right? Downstream of 2 (out of the 6) valves, I have PGP's that you recommended.
Should I just "bite the bullet" and put a Reduce Pressure Assembly?

Regards,

Emil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, March 18th 2007, 8:00am

RPZs are an expensive bullet. They also take away water pressure you might not have to spare. Cheapest is to raise them, and figure out how to hide them. (you always wanted to have a miniature windmill in your yard, didn't you?) Maybe there's a place further downstream to install a taller vacuum breaker.

And yes, the upstream AS valve is useless.

One thing about the brass AS valves that can come in handy, is that if you do install an RPZ, and find you have low pressure problems, replacing the Champion valves with standard underground valves can buy back a fair amount of pressure. Those Champions (especially the 3/4 inch ones) have high pressure losses. In fact, with two AS valves replaced, you might actually gain pressure with this work. (which is why you'd want to use valves with flow controls, for easy matching new with old)

Rate this thread