You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Taxman71

Monday, March 19th 2007, 7:35am

Febco 765 Problems

First, thanks to all on this forum for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Second, I got caught this winter by an early and hard freeze and failed to open the test cocks on my Febco 765-1. As a result, the canopy was just sitting on the top loosely with water flowing out of the top when I turned the water back on.

I know that I need to replace the bonnett and poppet, but am considering just buying a entire new 765 for not much more money to ensure I have all the parts. After reviewing the 765 repair manual and what is left of the guts of my 765, I can't tell if I need a new check assembly or not since the diagram is little confusing for me. If so, it is cheaper to get an entirely new 765.

Any thoughts or corrections on my uneducated logic above is appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 19th 2007, 9:25am

If you replace the whole thing, then it's a done deal, and no worries about any hidden damage.

Taxman71

Monday, March 19th 2007, 9:55am

I am thinking that is the way to go, especially given the minimal cost difference on the 1" 765. Thanks.

tehachapibackflow

Monday, March 19th 2007, 7:36pm

Do not buy a febco again. Always buy Wilkins!!
Tyler Napier

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 1:46am

Yeah because Wilkins never has any problems right? ;)

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 3:33am

I dont know what prices you are looking at. But it's cheaper for me to buy the whole 765 then the poppet and bonnet kit and the check assembly kit. Plus you get a shiny new "bell" on top. and if you got a split in your ball valves then you have that too.

anyway... I decided I'm not buying poppet and bonnets anymore. I'm going to just buy the whole units by the pallet

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 3:57am

Wow....

I'll still buy poppets bonnet kits...but just not as many as I used to.

You are right though..if BV and poppets/bonnets are bad...not worth changing them...do the whole thing.

As for the check valve...I have only seen one damaged by freeze...how about you bsme?
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:14am

that's interesting sprinklerguy... I'd say almost half of the poppet and bonnets we get that snap here also need that plastic check valve replaced too. Does water freeze different in MI? I guess in CO you get more quick freezes as when it freezes here it usually freezes for a few days. I guess realistically I'd have too many ball valves and check valves if I did it this way but I'm definitely buying as many units as I need check valves. (only downside is now I don't get that nice little packet of silicon?)

I worked for a company that never stocked the check valves so when they broke they just removed it and left the metal spring and seat (dunno if those are the right names but you know what i'm talking about). obviously defeats the purpose of the backflow but we also dont have testing here.

Taxman71

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 4:20am

FYI - part of the reason I will buy the entire 765 assembly is because I think the check assembly is shot as well. That is why the assembly diagram seems confusing to me after looking at what is left of the guts of my 765.

On a side note, based on measuring the poppet and bonnet, I am 99% sure I have the 1-inch version of the 765 (based on info from another site). Since my 765 says "765-1" does that mean I definitely have the 1 inch version?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 4:40am

What is definite is that you have to be able to identify pipe sizes to do any repair work on your sprinkler system. Good intentions don't count. Feel free to upload a photo of your busted PVB to the internet and post a link here. A Febco one-inch PVB is more than a little bit different than their 3/4 inch model.

Rate this thread