You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fcovin

Friday, March 23rd 2007, 7:22am

Imperial Control Valves/solenoids

I recently installed a new control timer (the old mechanical one finally bit the dust)...2 zones work fine...2 do not. i have tested the wiring to the 2 that are not working and i am getting 24v. I assume that these 2 old Imperial solenoids are not working...can these be replaced, ie, are there any parts still available? the valves are soldered inline (1 1/2" line) and would be quite difficult to get off. is there a way to repair the solenoid. I cannot think why 2 are not working and 2 are? One of the mysteries of life. I have pictures but cannot figure out how to attach them to this inquiry. thank you for you help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 23rd 2007, 10:01am

Upload your pictires to the internet, and paste the URLs in your post. Imperial solenoids are their own special animal, and not easy to replace. (they can draw more current than solid-state timers can supply) Without photos, it will be hard to believe the valves aren't threaded into fittings.

fcovin

Friday, March 23rd 2007, 11:59am

The valves are threaded but it looks like that you would have to release the solder to allow the threaded end to turn, ie, it would have to turn on the pipe to allow unthreading. If i try to unsolder because of water in the line, i don't think that the solder will ever release

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 23rd 2007, 12:18pm

Valves that are on fittings soldered to copper pipe are symptomatic of old systems that may not be code compliant. Such systems need to have an approved backflow preventer(s) installed. You may need to do more than just fix/replace zone valves.

Rate this thread