You are not logged in.

cfipp

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 7:44am

Move sprinkler head - Flexible PVC, Funny Pipe or

I need to move a sprinkler head so that it will end up about seven (7) feet from the existing PVC line. The existing PVC line is 1/2" pipe. The sprinkler head was connected to the line using flexible PVC connected on one end using a funny pipe 3/4" elbow with the other end connected to the 1/2" PVC pipe using a funny pipe barbed straight fitting into the flexible PVC and 1/2" threads into the 1/2" pipe. No glue was used at either end of the flexible PVC, as I was able to remove *both* funny pipe fittings from the flex PVC.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida where the ground does not freeze.

Ok, so now I need to move the head so that it will end up about seven (7) feet from the main line:

1 - Should I increase to 3/4" flexible PVC (rather than 1/2" flexible PVC) to try to mitigate pressure loss (using some kind of fitting to connect the 1/2" pvc to the 3/4" flex PVC)?

2 - Would you glue it? (even tho the professional who installed my system 10 years ago did not)

3 - If not flex PVC, would you recommend funny pipe? Can I run it that far? Most of what I read says no more than 2-3 feet.

4 - If I should run hard (non-flexible) PVC, should I contine with the 1/2" PVC or go dig back to the main line, see if it is 3/4" and if so, increase this latteral to the same size (3/4" pipe)?

Thanks!
Carol

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 8:12am

Good questions and well thought out. First is this 1/2 inch line a lateral? Are you adding a head or just going out farther?

IF the main kline is 3/4 youll be safe by just replacing the whole thing with 3/4 inch then again if you connect iot with 1/2 and it doesnt work your out about 5 dolla and your time. By the way I never use less then 3/4 inch except for funny pipe at the heads
Thanks,

Pete

cfipp

Wednesday, April 4th 2007, 2:51am

Yes, the 1/2" line is a lateral. I suspect it comes from a 3/4" main line but I haven't dug far enough back yet to see. (Got home too late last night to dig in the dark!)

I am not adding a head, I am moving an existing head out farther.

I'll post an update after I dig tonight.

Tom

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 4th 2007, 4:38am

7' of funny pipe for just 1 head will be fine

cfipp

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 2:29am

I used 7' of funny pipe and you are right! It was just fine!

cfipp

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 2:29am

I used 7' of funny pipe and you are right! It was just fine!

Rate this thread