You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cfipp

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 7:44am

Move sprinkler head - Flexible PVC, Funny Pipe or

I need to move a sprinkler head so that it will end up about seven (7) feet from the existing PVC line. The existing PVC line is 1/2" pipe. The sprinkler head was connected to the line using flexible PVC connected on one end using a funny pipe 3/4" elbow with the other end connected to the 1/2" PVC pipe using a funny pipe barbed straight fitting into the flexible PVC and 1/2" threads into the 1/2" pipe. No glue was used at either end of the flexible PVC, as I was able to remove *both* funny pipe fittings from the flex PVC.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida where the ground does not freeze.

Ok, so now I need to move the head so that it will end up about seven (7) feet from the main line:

1 - Should I increase to 3/4" flexible PVC (rather than 1/2" flexible PVC) to try to mitigate pressure loss (using some kind of fitting to connect the 1/2" pvc to the 3/4" flex PVC)?

2 - Would you glue it? (even tho the professional who installed my system 10 years ago did not)

3 - If not flex PVC, would you recommend funny pipe? Can I run it that far? Most of what I read says no more than 2-3 feet.

4 - If I should run hard (non-flexible) PVC, should I contine with the 1/2" PVC or go dig back to the main line, see if it is 3/4" and if so, increase this latteral to the same size (3/4" pipe)?

Thanks!
Carol

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 3rd 2007, 8:12am

Good questions and well thought out. First is this 1/2 inch line a lateral? Are you adding a head or just going out farther?

IF the main kline is 3/4 youll be safe by just replacing the whole thing with 3/4 inch then again if you connect iot with 1/2 and it doesnt work your out about 5 dolla and your time. By the way I never use less then 3/4 inch except for funny pipe at the heads
Thanks,

Pete

cfipp

Wednesday, April 4th 2007, 2:51am

Yes, the 1/2" line is a lateral. I suspect it comes from a 3/4" main line but I haven't dug far enough back yet to see. (Got home too late last night to dig in the dark!)

I am not adding a head, I am moving an existing head out farther.

I'll post an update after I dig tonight.

Tom

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 4th 2007, 4:38am

7' of funny pipe for just 1 head will be fine

cfipp

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 2:29am

I used 7' of funny pipe and you are right! It was just fine!

cfipp

Saturday, April 14th 2007, 2:29am

I used 7' of funny pipe and you are right! It was just fine!

Rate this thread