You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, February 3rd 2003, 1:55am

mixing spray and rotors

I recently added a garage to my house. This addition has changed the size and shape of the area that I water. Now I want to replace a rotor head with a spray head but I dont want to over water an area. Can I put a spray head into a zone that only has rotors as long as the spray head has approximately the same or less output(gpm)?

Edited by - drpete3 on Feb 03 2003 09:31:47 AM
Thanks,

Pete

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, February 3rd 2003, 10:44am

Yes, Just make sure that they have ABOUT the same GPM and precip rate, or you might get some dry spots here and there. Also make sure there is adequete coverage so you do not get dry spots, also.

Thanks,

hbfoxjr

Tuesday, February 11th 2003, 6:00am

Mixing sprays with rotors is not a generally accepted practice. The precipitation rates vary too widely. Typically installed residential rotors will yield a precipitaion rate of .3-.4+ inches per hr. Sprays ofter run 1-2 inches per hr, generally averaging 1.5 in/hr.

The best solution is to install a Hunter I20 or PGM (or equal) rotor with a very low gallon nozzle proportionate to the arc and radius to be covered if at all possible. These nozzles can be squeezed down in the teens of feet and run as low as .75 gpm. For example, a 1/2 circle 15 ft radius radius spray nozzle from RainBird willrun about 1.9 gpm @ 30psi at the head.

Harold
Harold

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, May 12th 2003, 9:13am

Hello,
Generally mixing sprays and rotors is a bad idea, although with carful planning of the precipation rates you may be able to do this. If you do this you may expect overwatering (or more watering fromt he spray headS) because they water quicker than rotors. I would take HArolds advice and install PGM rotors, which are known as "mini rotors" and with the new .5 nozzle you can adjust these to rotate about 10 feet (and thats pushing it) I would do that in your case, because both heads are rotors and will operate the same. If you cannot get these, i would use the Toro 570 spray with rotors

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Raymond Padula Jr.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread