You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

RichardTB

Friday, June 1st 2007, 11:27am

205 Valve/Solenoid Puzzle

My irrigation system has a 4 zone box below grade. The valves are Richdel 205s. Valve 3 was working at very low pressure. Opening the bleed screw fixed the problem temporarily. Once this was done pressure was fine until it cycled and then it would need to be bled again. Reading some of the posts it seemed that it might be either the valve or the solonoid, so I replaced both with an Irritrol 205 with flow control. The result is that now I get zero pressure but again it will go to good pressure only when I open the bleed screw. Any help would be immensley appreciated. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 5:58am

So, you replaced the entire valve?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 7:22am

Or did you just top the valve?

If you topped it..my bet and my money are on pinched nipple under the solenoid....
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

RichardTB

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 9:39am

I replaced the whole bonnet including the solenoid. If its a pinched nipple would this be solved with an extra washer? What is your suggestion? How do we unpinch it? Thanks?

RichardTB

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 10:38am

I just topped it replacing the guts and solenoid. Thanks.

mrfixit

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 11:10am

The 205 can be tricky to re-assemble with that big spring pushing the diaphragm away from the bonnet. I like the Sprinklerguys answer. If he's right just open it back up somehow. You'll know what to do. If it breaks off, time for a new valve. No you don't need a second washer? Also make sure there isn't any debre in that port. On occasion I've seen that valve re-assembled wrong so the diaphragm itself is blocking the port. You may have to bonnet turned slightly out of position. No matter what you need to take the bonnet back off to find the problem. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

RichardTB

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 11:15am

Thanks to all for your help. It turned out to be a pinched nipple. I had assembled the Irritrol in the Richdel body and not CAREFULLY engaged the nipple into the reciprocating orifice. It turns out that I have two more zones under a foot of dirt somewhere so it appears my education will continue. Thanks again.

Rate this thread