You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Johnstof

Friday, June 1st 2007, 5:02pm

Best Valve Size

<font color="green">Per Rainbird's recommendation, I am going to use 3/4 polypipe for my system. Rainbird also recommended 3/4 inch valves for my system. However, I decided to use Hunter valves and rotors but Hunter only offers 1" valves and larger.

I guess I can use 1 inch valves with 3/4 polypipe. But I would like to know what is most appropriate. Perhaps 1 inch is better. Perhaps it's worse. I don't know but I'll buy whatever size is most suitable.

FYI, my meter is 5/8", my main copper house piping is 3/4", my house static water pressure is 60 psi, and my flow rate is 8 GPM.

Please recommend what valve size is best.
Thanks,
John
</font id="green">
[?]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 5:56am

Go ahead with one inch valves. That's what pros do.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 7:23am

While you're at it..use 1" poly...not that much more money and more of a standard size.....
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 10:44am

another for for 1" all the way

Johnstof

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 11:53am

Isn't the size of the poly dependent upon my house supply pressure and flow rate? I figured that's why Rainbird specified 3/4 inch. I would think that oversizing my poly based on my 60 psi, 8 gpm capacity could make the system less efficient. But I am not at all sure.

According to Hunter's Sprinkler System design handbook, the max flow rate for 3/4 inch poly is 8 gpm. For 1 inch poly the max flow rate is 13 gpm. However, since my house supply is only 8 gpm wouldn't the 3/4 inch poly be perfectly matched to my house supply (both being 8 gpm)?

Please advise.
Thanks
John

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, June 4th 2007, 3:39am

upsizing your pipe decreases the pressure loss, so your system will be more efficient.

Rate this thread