You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 5:20pm

ROOT ROT

Since i have installed my new fertigator i have had a big problem with fungus.is this a common problem with a fertigation system? never had this problem before..what gives

so far not really impressed with the fertigator except of helping with a fly probel i get with my dogs in the back yard.other then that not really impressed.i have gone thru atleast 30 gallons of fertilizer since march and the yard doesn't look any better then it did before i got the system...am i doing something wrong

Fertigation Guru

Monday, June 4th 2007, 10:30am

Its is the Fertigator fault...but any fertigation system would have given you the same problem. The reason being you are fertilizing a fungus, something you never want to do. The fungus feeds on the nitrogen in the plants and will also feed on the nitrogen in the fertilizer. By continually fertilizing, you are feeding the fungus. It is similar to pouring gasoline on a fire. Discontinue using your Fertigator until you have rid your landscape of the fungus. It must be completely gone otherwise you will be back to square one before you know it.

IF you applied that much fertilizer you should have seen some response in your landscape. There are several reasons why the response has been negligible. The top three listed below:

1.) Poor soil PH: Your soil can not be basic or acidic; some grasses can not even process nitrogen if the ph is below 6.5. Have some soil samples taken and they will tell you which way to go (lime or gypsum).

2.) Improper fertilizer choice: If you are using a general purpose formula i.e. 15-15-15 and expecting high growth or dramatic greening. Switch to a higher nitrogen formula to get the desired growth or greening.

3.) Weather: Landscapes need sun and warmth. In addition, some fertilizers require warmth as well. Check the type of nitrogen that is in your fertilizer, it will be listed on the label. Urea nitrogen (most common) does not release until the temperature rises above 80 degrees. Plants absorb nitrate nitrogen and must be able to convert urea into nitrate before it can be used. This process does not occur below 80 degrees. If you look at cooler weather formulas they are primarily comprised of nitrate nitrogen. The plants do not have to convert the nitrogen so it is readily available at lower temperatures.

Fertigation Guru

Monday, June 4th 2007, 10:32am

I forgot to mention...do not water at night or do not over water! These are the leading causes of fungus and are easily remedied. If this is what created your problem simply changing your watering will not fix the problem. You will need to use a fungicide. The new watering schedule will prevent the fungus from retuning.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 4:52pm

tks that was alot of help...i am close to just using the fertigator for my plants only and go back to to reg. fertilizer...i have already took some soil samples to the U of FLORIDA to see what the ph was i will have those on thrusday.i sprayed out t-strom from lesco for the root rot and i have not turned my feritgator back on yet and left the sprinklers off until i seen some brown spots in the yard telling me it needs water...

Fertigation Guru

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 10:49am

Sounds like you are on the right path...but do not give up on the fertigator just yet. Once your fungus is cured and you are sure you ph is in balance give it another shot.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 5:47pm

how long do you think it will take before its cured? do you think i should apply a 2nd app.?i will give the fertigator one thing the plants look alot better .i sprayed last weekend i don't have anything to spray with so i had to use my back pack sprayer and the stuff i got 8oz will treat 50gal.so i had to put in 1.50oz per 4 gal so it was alittle strong but i had to fill my damn sprayer 12 times man what a pain.i have been looking at a z-spray to spray the yard and fertilizer also but if you say wait on the fertigator i will ..

Fertigation Guru

Friday, June 8th 2007, 11:09am

I do apologize, I should not have used the word cured, wrong terminology...the fungicides stop the spread of the fungus and/or prevent it. It will not cure your damaged roots. Follow the instructions that came with your fungicide. Usually they recommend one application every two to four weeks. Once you feel the fungus is contained (usually about 4 weeks to be safe) you can begin fertilizing again. Any plant material that is unaffected by the fungus can be fertilized normally.

Be sure to water your plant material the day before the application. This will drastically reduce the damage to your plants. In addition, a little strong can cause a lot of harm...fungicide can hurt your plants worse than the fungus.

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Friday, June 8th 2007, 2:33pm

tks i will read the label.i only sprayed the yard with it or the turf no plants were sprayed.the guy at lesco's said just dump alittle into the back pack sprayer that it won't hurt the turf..tks

Fertigation Guru

Monday, June 18th 2007, 6:37pm

keep in mind, the guy at lesco, although he probably knows his stuff, does not have to pay for your damaged plants...

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 5:13pm

good point...some times i wonder if those guys at lesco's know what they are doing..

Rate this thread