You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

newtp

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 9:19am

One Zone always on

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with 1 of the 6 zones in my sprinkler system. This zone is on even when sprinkler system isn't suppose to be on. When I cycle through the zones, this zone is always on as well. As a results, there seems to be low water pressure in the other zones. If you guys can give me any advice regarding this issue that would be great. Thanks beforehand.

mrfixit

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 9:36am

I can think of a few items. Do you have a master valve? If one of your valves has a hole in the diaphragm then it will always be on while the master valve is open. -- If that stations wire is hooked up to the pump relay then it will come on with each zone as well. There's a possibility the timer is telling that zone to run. Try disconnecting the wire to that zone at the timer and see what happens. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

newtp

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 5:25pm

I've done a little more checking on the system. I found out that half of the zone is always on when my water line is open. When I cycle through the system, the zone that is always on has another 3 sprinklers that go on. So would that narrow down to the diaphram being broken? But if the diaphragm was broken, wouldn't the entire zone be on? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks again.

mrfixit

Friday, June 8th 2007, 9:34pm

It sounds like you have two valves wired together. I'm assuming when it's time for the broken station to run all the sprinklers in that zone come on. More than three. That would tell me there are two valves running at the same time. Or, as you mentioned before you have low pressure so maybe only three sprinklers on that line are popping up. It's most likely the diaphragm but not necessarily. I'd find the valve and take the bonnet off. Inspect the diaghphram for holes or it might have fallen apart. Look for debris in the valve. Sometimes the solenoid plunger will stick open. Good luck!

Kathryn Wiley

Unregistered

Monday, May 19th 2008, 6:31am

RE: One Zone always on

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with 1 of the 6 zones in my sprinkler system. This zone is on even when sprinkler system isn't suppose to be on. When I cycle through the zones, this zone is always on as well. As a results, there seems to be low water pressure in the other zones. If you guys can give me any advice regarding this issue that would be great. Thanks beforehand.

mrfixit

Monday, May 19th 2008, 1:18pm

Easy pickings

One of two problems. It's probably the valve itself. There are many reasons why a valve will not shut off. It depends on which valve you have. Here's what you can try. Disconnect the wire from the controller that runs the valve that's stuck on. The ground wire will be work also. If the valve shuts off then the problem's at the controller. That's usually not the case. So the odds are the problem is at the valve. You're looking at, repair, replace or adjust. Good luck!

Flustered

Unregistered

Monday, June 9th 2008, 9:23am

2 zones constantly on

Hello Mr. Fixit,

I recently had a leak in one of my connections at the valve. I replaced the part to stop the leak and in the process due to corrosion the wires of 3 solenoids broke. I then replaced the solenoids and now zones 3 and 4 are constantly running. After reading some of the threads I learned that the valve may be stuck open. How do I check to see if the valve is stuck?

Thanks

mrfixit

Monday, June 9th 2008, 12:19pm

Stuck valve

I have a few ideas. I'll try to keep it simple. Since you just worked on the valves then possibly you have the wrong solenoids. Possibly there's no post inside the solenoid. Possibly the solenoids are adjusted wrong not tight. Possibly you fiddled with the flow control and broke holes in old diaphragms. Possibly if you changed a diaphragm and debris "rocks" got inside the manifold and valves keeping the valves from closing. There's more but I'd say that should keep you busy for a while. If you could post a picture of the valves it might help.

Good luck!

Flustered

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 10th 2008, 9:37am

2 zones constantly on

Here is the picture of the unit I have, instead the center is flat without the handle in the center. I never opened one of the valves that are not operating correctly, just replaced the solenoid. If the solenoid is wrong why aren't the other zones where the solenoids were replaced constantly running as well. Is it possible to have debris inside?

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 10th 2008, 12:17pm

No flow control

Here's the most likely problem. The diaphragms are old and stiff. The valve you have doesn't have a flow control to help the diaphragm close. Try tapping on the valve with the handle of a screwdriver while the water is on. See if the valve closes. If this was my system I would buy the valve you have pictured and switch the diaphragms and bonnets. Meaning everthing but the valve body which is the bottom half of the valve. Yes there could be debris in the valves as stated in my last post.

Good luck!

Rate this thread