You are not logged in.

jjgriffmn

Monday, June 11th 2007, 5:29pm

5 zones and 3 valves?? am I crazy?

Hi, This spring when I started up my system I'm having some valve problems.

When I turn on the system, zones 4 & 5 are on the whole time. They only turn off when the system is done. Does this sound like a clogged or stuck valve?

The other strange thing is that I can only locate 2 valve boxes. One box has 2 valves the other has 1 valve. Can I have 5 zones with only 3 valves???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John from Minnesota

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 6:15am

keep digging, and find another valve box

jjgriffmn

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 10:19am

I figured that!

OK, So I took apart the 3 valves that I have located.....and one of the valves was stuck! (now I know how they work!) so zone 4 is cured....

I can not find any valve box in the front yard.....THe front yard is where zone 1 & 5 are. 1 works, 5 is stuck open. I can't find them anywhere.....

I thought I read that sometimes they just bury the valves??? If that's true, any advice on where I should start digging?? The main valve that comes out of the house is in the front yard as well...

Thanks in advance..

RichardTB

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 3:54am

The same problem I had- 6 zones but I could only find one box with 4 valves. My first box is set in the the ground with the top cover about 2" below ground so I figured the same might be true for the second box. If both of your 'missing' zones are in the backyard I would begin there and probe the ground with a gutter nail. When you hit the box,most are heavy plastic, they make a hollow sound. Look for the box close to the house first. If this doesn't work and your electrically inclined you can buy or rent a device to actuate the solenoid rapidly which can be heard thru a foot or so of dirt. When I was looking for mine, I had my wife repeatably turn the controller timer wheel and manually actuate the zones that were "missing". This activated the solenoid and I was able too hear it by putting my hear close to the ground.
I then took the gutter spike and probed. If the box is deeper than 4 or 5 inches you may need the electrical device or a pro. Good Luck

jjgriffmn

Tuesday, June 19th 2007, 5:48am

follow up

I poked around and couldn't find the 5th valve.

I called my guy and told him what was going on...I also had a break in one of my lines..(a small spring). He came over, repaired the line, located valve #1 (this is the one that worked) it was about a foot in front of the master valve.......

He fixed valve #5, but I but he didn't dig up the valve.??? There was water around the main valve.......My thought is that he hooked up his compressor to the blow-out, and gave it a good shot???

Any thoughts??

I have no clue....

Either way......$60 later it all works!! Even if I don't know where one of my valves are....

Rate this thread