You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tehachapibackflow

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 3:47am

There are many other factors that determine if a RPZ is failing. You cannot just rely on the relief valve dripping or dumping to determine if an assembly is failing. If what you mentioned was true there would be no need to ever test a RPZ assembly. You would just wait until it drips then repair it. Remember the ultimate goal for backflow is for protection of the drinking water supply. Not just ease of winterizing or cost. Think about it.
Tyler Napier

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 5th 2007, 3:38am

"failing" can be taken several ways ~ if device testing isn't performed on a regular basis, the effectiveness of the check valves can only be guessed at. For a PVB, that doesn't trouble me very much, since the spring-loaded vacuum breaker has not yet shown any tendency to stick.

I suspect the process of gaining agency approvals is ample demonstration of the relief valve performance of an RPZ. Our testing is all about check valves. For a DCVA, I consider it essential, since the device is sealed, and contains nothing else but check valves. The air openings on PVBs and RPZs make the check valves in those devices less critical to the task of protection.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:27am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tehachapibackflow</i>
<br />You will begin to notice on the watts 009 series the internal parts are all plastic. Those check modules will begin to crack with high pressure or freezing temps. Bets of luck with the "failing febcos"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
just remember all backflow devices are rated at temp rating of up to 120 degrees anything hotter will require a watts 909 MOD model which is rated for really hot water.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Rate this thread