You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tinyman

Friday, June 15th 2007, 11:55pm

RPZ Backflow devices

I noticed that Febco is the only brand of RPZ that SprinklerWarehouse sells. Is there another brand sold that is better or are these okay preventers? Thanks.

tehachapibackflow

Tuesday, June 19th 2007, 8:24pm

yes, febco is nothing but junk, all they are good for is recycling. i test and repair febcos on a weekly basis. i highly reccomend Wilkins. model 975 xl. you will be very happy with these. hope this helps.
Tyler Napier

Admin

Administrator

Wednesday, June 20th 2007, 12:39pm

What part of the country are you in? Backflow brands seem to be very area related...meaning people tend to feel strongly about certain brands depending on where they live.
I would be interested in knowing which other brands (and which models) we at www.SprinklerWarehouse.com should carry to cover your backflow needs.
SprinklerTalk.com

tinyman

Wednesday, June 20th 2007, 7:09pm

I live just outside of Anchorage, Alaska. Since Sprinkler systems aren't very prevelant here I don't think there are any regulations on backflow but I will check. I do need an RPZ model since all of my heads will be well above the preventer.

tehachapibackflow

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 6:46am

To those who are in terested in backflow assembies. Here in california we see all differnet types of assemblies. We see every brand made. But as a certified tester, and Chief Distribution Operator of a large water system and Cross Connection Control Manager. I have no problem tooting the horn for wilkins priducts. They by far pass testing much more often than any other assembly. Wilkins is the easiest assembly to work on. The parts are inexpensive and easy to understand the products manuals. Just so everyone knows I am not in anyway paid or endorsed by wikins. I just truely believe in their products.

Hope this helps.
Tyler Napier

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 9:46am

I always thought the Febco 825Y series was ruggedly built, and its larger relief diaphragm gave it a performance edge at lower supply pressures. At the same time, I noticed a tendency for the check valve poppets to jam. Since winterizing includes check valve dissasembly, an opportunity to clean the poppet stems and guides allows the 825Y to keep working reliably. Warmer climates will see different results.

Lately, I've been trying the Watts 009 series, which have no disassembly requirements while winterizing. No gripes so far, but time will tell.

tehachapibackflow

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 10:16am

You will begin to notice on the watts 009 series the internal parts are all plastic. Those check modules will begin to crack with high pressure or freezing temps. Bets of luck with the "failing febcos"
Tyler Napier

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 24th 2007, 4:52am

I do make certain the RPZs are clear of water before winter arrives, so I can hold off learning about freeze damage. My basic response to a frozen backflow call is to advocate a replacement, so they start fresh, without any worries about warped brass. I hear tell that one freeze gripe that can affect the Wilkins 975XL is the plastic seats developing cracks.

Anyone have experience with the Conbraco RPZs? It does look much like a Wilkins, with both Y-checks oriented upward, and a testcock on the relief valve, which looks like it might eliminate disassembly requirements for winterizing.

tehachapibackflow

Sunday, June 24th 2007, 6:54pm

I have to agree with the cracked seats due to freezing. But it is worth to be able to replace a seat instead of replacing a backflow due to a pit or crack in the seat of a febco 825y. If you ask any true backflow tester they will tell you there are many more advantages to the wilkins 975XL. See Ya.
Tyler Napier

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 30th 2007, 10:52pm

One aspect of RPZ selection that isn't obvious, is that there are parts of the country that haven't yet set up testing requirements for backflow preventers, so those areas don't get a chance to build up a profile of RPZ performance. They will be more concerned with relief valve leakage than just about anything else. Luckily for them, the basic design of an RPZ allows for the relief to dump water, so that untested check valves don't present the kind of potential danger that they would for a DCVA

Performance and no-disassembly features aside, one practical consideration for extending the RPZ selections, is that there would be RPZs with right-to-left flow direction available. It looks like the Febco 860 is left-to-right. The Wilkins 975xl is right-to-left.

Rate this thread