You are not logged in.

burley

Sunday, June 17th 2007, 7:13pm

MPRotator on hill

I'm considering using the MPRotator heads on a hill - a 30 deg slope. Any ideas on how much the radius will be affected on the uphill and downhill sides? And can this head be installed at a slant? I assume it would have to be to overcome the slope, but I don't know how well it performs on an angle, particularly since it's not gear driven like most rotors.

I wrote to the company and got no response (not a good sign), but the low precipitation rate seems like a good thing for my hill especially since I have clay soil so I'm anxious to give this head a try.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 18th 2007, 8:15am

No direct experience with MP-Rotators on that steep of a hill, but here's my thoughts.

I don't see any reason why the MPRotators can't be installed on a slope. Given that they are desinged to work with water pressures down to 20psi, I wouldn't think being on a slope would effect their rotation greatly. Otherwise, just like with any sprinkler, you'll have to adjust placements to account for the fact that the water will not throw uphill as far as it will down hill. How much? I don't know. But if I were designing the system, I'd rig me up a test stand with a garden hose and just take the sprinkler to the hill side and make a direct measurement.

They are designed to work with 20-50psi of water pressure. I don't realisticly see how being on a slope would affect the rotation
Given that the sprinklers are designed to operate on 30-50 psi of water pressure, I don't think turning them on their sides will

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 2:37am

I use the mp-rotors and they work great, I have a slight slope and they work fine, you just have to adjust the time on your controller for the slope.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Rate this thread