You are not logged in.

tviles

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 9:48am

Creek Water Moss

This is my first summer pulling water from the creek. Moyno pump model 36701 1½ electric motor, 2 inch suction line with screen covered check valve in the creek. Problem is moss covering up intake screen. It is nylon window screen covering check valve. Then after the pump I screen again with a 150 mesh irrigation screen. What are some options for me? Kill the moss in the creek water - if so with what? Build something in creek like a sump pump pit or something? Let me know if you can think of something. I water the lawn with the water so nothing too harsh. Also it is a feeder creek into Hillsdale Lake that supplies many small towns with drinking water. Thanks, Tracy Spring Hill, KS

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 11:55am

How about an unfiltered intake that leads to an automatic filter kit ( http://www.rainbird.com/drip/products/control/autofilter_kit.htm )

tviles

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 12:51pm

Looking for price but I'm afraid I'm going to say Yikes when I find it. I only have 240vac down there at the pump. Thanks I'm still looking at it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 2:14pm

You can't do anything to the creek water, period. It is not your water, even if you own the land on which the creek runs. Even a 'sump pit' might be frowned upon, but it is an idea.

The most practical approach to irrigating with surface water is to use components that can endure the crud, so the filtering required is minimal.

tviles

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 4:35pm

I knew I could count on you WB, so now my curiousity is up. Who's water is it, I'm going to guess the state? Am I correct? One more, as in a intake device IF I were to use a component that can endure the crud what would that be? Thanks you always get me thinking with your answers. My lawn does look better with creek water than potable water, except for all the nutsedge I seem to be growing. Tracy

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 5:16am

Yes, the water belongs to the state. For an example of what might happen if there wasn't this governmental control, look up "Johnstown Flood"

As for intake from creeks, the idea is to somehow get some clear water to draw from, or to configure a sprinkler system to run with cruddy water, needing nothing more than, say, 20 mesh filtering, with anything smaller being blown through the valves and heads.

tviles

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 7:03am

Interesting reading WB, but I have not damned anything up and don't plan to. If the small creek goes dry, well it goes dry and I can't water. I can switch back to potable water but the rates have increased here so much I doubt if I do. I think that creating a larger opening than my 2 inch check valve could help. If I were to increase to four inch pipe size and drill holes in it and screen that I might go longer in between cleanings. It's not to hard to get in the creek and brush off the screen its the snakes that makes me nervous.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 9:36am

Aside from creek water issues, I hope your sprinkler system doesn't also have a city water connection, without there being an RPZ backflow preventer in the plumbing.

Rate this thread