You are not logged in.

SpriniklerGuy

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 10:51am

Replacing RainBird MaxiPaw with Hunter PGP

I have about 20 Maxi Paws with which I'm completely fed up (cleaning out debris, etc.) I've decided to replace them with Hunter PGP-ADJ rotors given all of the good things I've read about them. I've replaced a few so far and all of them were connected to the side (1/2") inlet. The Hunter PGP only has a 3/4" inlet on the bottom. If I use a reducer bushing (3/4" male to 1/2" female), I think I should be able to connect the PGPs. However, I have some questions:

1. Will the reducer change the performance characteristics of the PGPs?
2. Am I better off using the PGP-ATR (I've read responses on the forum that seem to favor the PGP-ADJ as opposed to the ATR)?
3. Assuming there are no swing joints (and I don't think there are), are they the best way to get the connection lower so the head doesn't stick out of the ground (i.e., the height will be different for the PGPs because it connects from the bottom)?

Thanks for your help..

SpriniklerGuy

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 11:00am

Actually, I just looked at the swing pipe on sprinklerwarehouse.com Web site and see that it has fittings that can do the reduction from 3/4" to 1/2" so if I use it I shouldn't need the bushings, right?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 29th 2007, 3:16pm

If the existing heads use the side inlets, you could just cut the inlet pipe and make a new connection to the PGP. Use the swing pipe and fittings to make up the difference in height.

Rate this thread