You are not logged in.

griffin

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 4:16am

Chosing a system

I have 2 proposals. One uses Hunter products the other Rainbird. Is ther a clear advantage of one over the other?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 6:06am

No.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

mrfixit

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 6:14am

You'll get a variety of opinions on this one. Would an all Rainbird system satisfy me? I doubt it. I can't name a Rainbird valve I'm happy with. Maybe their clone brass valve adapters once sold at the Home Depot. Identical to the Superior brands product. Probably made at the same factory. I've had Rainbird valves break the first day. I think the Rainbird anti-syphon valves are way too noisy. I think the Rainbird brass inlines are way too tempermental. I could go on. Then again Hunter's had valve problems. Don't buy old stock. The bonnet will splt open on some models. Many on this site like the Rainbirds line of controllers. I'll never intentionally install one. As per request only. I'm not being much help here. Probably confusing the issue. From a repairmans point of view, If you "have" to have a matched brand name system. I'd go with the Hunter. Personally I'd go with the Superior brand brass valves. If you need plastic, I'd go with Irritrol. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

griffin

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 7:19am

Thank you for your input. I've decided to go with the company who uses Rainbird. Not because of the equipment but more for his design which seemed more taylored to the yard shape than the othervendor. He just brought the small business (he worked for years)and overall percieved best value. After the 2 yr warrenty I'll replaace items as they break with whatever is rated best at that time. Make sense?

mrfixit

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 8:51am

Hey no problems. Just make sure you're getting Rainbirds top of the line products. Not what they sell at the home improvement stores. Frankly, to put it mildly, Rainbird has marketed a lot of "CRAP". The name Rainbird used to get a lot of respect from me. Now I view them as just another company trying to increase profits at the buyers expense. If you're using spray heads, make sure he's using the 1800 series. If not, he's trying make an extra buck at your expense. Once again, good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

griffin

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 9:38am

He is all 1800 pop ups, 5000 series rotors, ESP controller and the RPZ backflow Ppreventor. He does not seem to be cutting corners in product or coverage, his design requires more labor on his part than the other. Again thanks, your input and this site has paid off.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 9:51am

did he design the system as part of his proposal package?

Did he charge you for this?

Thanks
Arizona and Colorado

griffin

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 1:03pm

He did it as part of the estimate as did the other. Neither charged me for it but they did not give me designs to keep.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 12th 2007, 11:26pm

Thanks....always looking for ways to be a leg up....
Arizona and Colorado

Rate this thread