You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 4:02pm

Help on when and how long to water

I have just installed a system for my front lawn, I have four zones with four rotor heads per zone, I live in new jersey and my soil is hard clay soil.. I was planing on watering 30 minutes each zone every other day and see how that works, my problem is in my house we get up early and use the shower at around 5:15 AM so when is it best to water, start at 3 AM and finish at 5 AM or should I wait until we finish our shower to begin. Thank you in advance and look forward for any help you can give me.

Calabrese

worachj

Advanced Member

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 3:09am

You can calculate how long to water if you know your gallons per minute (GPM), Radius and Arc of your sprinkler nozzle. I created an Excel spreadsheet that will calculate the number of minutes needed to water to a given depth for a single sprinkler head. Type in your nozzle parameters for GPM, Radius, Arc, and specify a watering depth and it will tell you how many minutes to water to reach that water depth.

Sprinkler heads have head to head coverage so specify half the amount of water for the area you want to cover.

If you know the water pressure at the sprinkler head you can get the GPM of the nozzle by looking at the manufacturers performance chart. You should already know the radius and arc of the sprinkler head.

Email me if you want a copy of the spreadsheet.

ItÂ’s also listed on Google, but you need to sign up for a free account.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pGtsTbe3YK-h91OKgHRSzCw&output=html&gid=0&single=true

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2011, 3:01pm

I would try 4 to 5 for two zones and then start the other two after you leave the home.

As suggested above try some calculations. Or just start low and add time if needed.

But if you lose alot of water from runoff, then water less and maybe twice a day.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2011, 3:17pm

this post is over 4 years old bud.. mr rainsoft decided to post his stupid crap here

Rate this thread