You are not logged in.

wiredup

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 12:18am

wiring: positive negative specified

Hi team,

I've installed my sprinkler system; it's now online and working, however last night I tried to get the computer to turn on the valves to no avail. I recalled while wiring up the system to items:

1. is there a designated positive & negative for the valves?
2. do I have to use a common ground across all of the valves or can I have a designated negative for each?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 2:20am

I was under the impression that typical (residential) irrigaion valves and controllers are designed with AC power in mind (low voltage, but still AC). So there is no such thing as positvie and negative.

The typical (residentail) controller only has one "common" terminal with each valve having its own "control" terminal. The basic idea is that you will likely have a manifold and the controller will only allow one valve on at a time. So rather than running a seperate "common" wire for each valve, allow them to share a "common" wire so you have fewer wires to run between the controller and the manifold. The only situation where I could see having a controller with a "common" terminal for each zone is one designed for a distributed system (say like a golf course) where there isn't a single manifold but the valves are instead spread out. In that situation, you are more likely to have to bring a pair of wires from each valve all the way to the controller. So I could see a professional controller having two terminals per zone for that sort of setup.

wiredup

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 4:16am

Ahhh, makes sense!

This evening I'll need to troubleshoot.

Another question: when a zone is turned on, is the valve powered for a brief period to "open" the valve or is it continually powered? (If the former, this is going to be fun!)

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 4th 2007, 12:42am

continuous power

Rate this thread