You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

miyata

Saturday, August 18th 2007, 11:04am

Question regarding water meter size

I'm going to install a sprinkler system anytime soon.
I have 3/4 service line and 5/8 water meter in the basement.
I've got a letter, which says water company replaces old water meter for free.

I requested 1" meter but they said it didn't work with 3/4 service line.
They said if I want 1" meter, I have to upgrade service line as well.
Does it make sence?

I live in northern part of NJ.
My pressure & flow currently reads 60psi and 10GPM.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 18th 2007, 2:36pm

Most 5/8 meters have flow performances similar to 3/4 meters. You can't put a large meter on a small line. They don't fit. If your property is too large to water with 10 gpm, then bite the bullet and have a new service installed. Depending on your town (go ahead and tell us), the new service ($$$) may have a payback, since a separate meter won't get included in the sewerage charge.

miyata

Saturday, August 18th 2007, 3:50pm

Thank you for the response. I live in River Vale (previously part of Westwood).
A new service must be very expensive and I will probably stick with the current 3/4 line.
They agreed that they would put 3/4 meter. I guess what they are saying is right if you say so.
I will use 1" pipe after the new 3/4 meter. By the way Townhall just gave me a permit on my plan with watts 007 DCV.
I didn't know what I can use here and just tried it to see if they give me a permit.
The highest point of my backyard is as high as the roof edge.
Contractors around here use PVB but it seems they don't care about the hight of it and many of them said they put winterize port before the backflow in order to winterize it.
It is cross-connection, isn't it?

Rate this thread