You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jjgriffmn

Monday, August 20th 2007, 9:32am

gate valve in basement leaks

Hi All-

My Main shut off is a gate valve in the ceiling of my basement. I found out this past spring that my gate valve has a very small leak. I know this because when I started up my system this spring, I found out that my supply line had burst. (between the house and the main valve)

I'm trying to fix the leaky gate valve in the basement prior to winterization, but for the life of me I can not get the valve open to fix it.

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to open it.

Thanks a lot,
John

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 2:48am

Install a ball valve to replace it, and plumb a drain into the supply line, so it can be kept open over the winter, as a safeguard against water getting outside.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 6:47am

I see this problem all the time. like wetboots said- use a ball valve

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, August 27th 2007, 5:09am

I recall www.irrigationtutorials.com strongly recomended ball valves over gate valves because of leak potentials.

Rate this thread