You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jusme

Monday, August 20th 2007, 3:28pm

Threaded Copper to PVC

I searched the forums (and the rest of the Internet) pretty thoroughly and I still can't find an answer to my specific question. I had the plumber over last week to replace my PRV and while they were there I had them put on a tee with a ball valve and then a capped nipple for future irrigation provisions. The mainline in question is 1" copper.

I want to start using PVC right at the capped connection, but my problem is the copper to PVC union. I really don't want to start sweating copper pipe, so any solution that doesn't involve that is highly preferred. I don't have the expertise or the equipment to do so. I've seen other people say you can use a "no-hub" coupler between two dissimilar materials, but I can't find a whole lot of information about them. Do they also go by a different name? I've heard that it's a really bad idea to mate female PVC with male copper because of the damage to the PVC, so I'm going to stay away from that. I guess my problem really is that the plumbers left me with a male copper connection (capped, as I mentioned) instead of a female connection. Do these "no-hub" (or similar) couplers work well even if one side of the connection is threaded? I'm assuming they're meant to be used for a slip connection...but maybe not. Does anyone know? Or know of another way to make the coupling without sweating copper or calling the plumber again?

mrfixit

Monday, August 20th 2007, 6:15pm

I don't do much with copper at all. I do know about the problem with female couplings though. I avoid that whenever possible. I'll use a threaded coupling then a pvc male adapter. I also know about electrolysis. You shouldn't connect galvanized directly to copper. I was wondering if a brass threaded coupling would be ok. Brass and copper are very similar. Look at this chart.
http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=18533
There's my two cents.
-
I realized about 30 seconds after posting this that duh, of course copper and brass go together. You see it all the time. Pressure regulators, gate valves, ect..
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

jusme

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 12:40am

I think I'm going to head down to the local plumbing supply later this week and see what I can conjure up. If I read your post right then you're saying I go male threaded copper -> female threaded brass -> male threaded PVC. In that case I'll have to see if they make a male/copper -> female/brass adapter. Or even maybe just male/copper -> female/copper.

Lakeside

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 2:27am

The key is to make sure you thread it right the first time. It's very easy to have the male copper mis-thread into the PVC.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 2:51am

Buy a threaded brass coupling, and use that. Or use a threaded brass ball valve.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, August 27th 2007, 5:06am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />Buy a threaded brass coupling, and use that. Or use a threaded brass ball valve.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Love that suggestion! Gives you both a shutoff and male-to-female conversion in one step.

jusme

Tuesday, August 28th 2007, 4:04am

I'm going to consider this thread closed. Thanks guys very much for your feedback!

Rate this thread