You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nautique80

Wednesday, September 12th 2007, 11:44pm

Hunter Pump Start Relay wiring

****o,

I am in the process of installing a system which will draw water from my lake canal. I have the pump (110 feet from the house) and am going with a Hunter PSR-22 relay. I am a bit confused on wiring this unit in. What gauge wire do you use from the relay to the timer and from thecommon on the valves, 18 AWG? Can I get 2 wire 18 AWG for this? Do I bury a single wire in the ground from the relay to the timer and one from the common valves to the timer with no protective burial jacket on these wires? Does the relay mount outdoors? as it states to have it 12-15 feet from the timer and 5 feet from the pump. I have a lot here and I appreciate the info from all that reply. If anyone has a website or photo on how this hooks up that would be great.

Thank you.

nautique80

Wednesday, September 12th 2007, 11:44pm

Hunter Pump Start Relay wiring

****o,

I am in the process of installing a system which will draw water from my lake canal. I have the pump (110 feet from the house) and am going with a Hunter PSR-22 relay. I am a bit confused on wiring this unit in. What gauge wire do you use from the relay to the timer and from thecommon on the valves, 18 AWG? Can I get 2 wire 18 AWG for this? Do I bury a single wire in the ground from the relay to the timer and one from the common valves to the timer with no protective burial jacket on these wires? Does the relay mount outdoors? as it states to have it 12-15 feet from the timer and 5 feet from the pump. I have a lot here and I appreciate the info from all that reply. If anyone has a website or photo on how this hooks up that would be great.

Thank you.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 11:50pm

Get a relay in a rainproof enclosure, and install it at the pump. There is 18 gauge irrigation cable (2-conductor or more) that is rated for direct burial.

nautique80

Friday, September 14th 2007, 2:05am

Thanks for reply. Can you tell me if the relay has to be at least 5 feet away? If you mount it closer will it short out or ruin the relay? I appreciate the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 14th 2007, 7:49am

I don't install relays near timers. No need to. I do hope you can afford five feet of wire. (the general idea is to minimize the possibility of magnetic interference from motors and relay coils)

nautique80

Friday, September 14th 2007, 8:44am

Thanks again. I wont install this by the timer. I have the Hunter PSR-22 relay I understand how to wire this to the timer and the pump. It calls for this to be run to a power supply. If I understand this correctly I need to make a pigtail and plug the relay into a power outlet? I am correct in saying this. Again thanks for your assistance.

Rate this thread