You are not logged in.

mrfixit

Monday, December 10th 2007, 10:53am

Hi Frank. I see I gave you the wrong part number. 2713APR is the 1" valve. 2711APR is the 3/4". You asked if there's a big difference in the size of the valves. Yes! Big enough to cause you a problem. Could you make them fit? Probably. Will they put stress on the manifold if you use the 3/4"? Yes! If you dig down and move the elbow over you can use the 3/4" valves. I was just trying to make it easy on you. The existing pipes look perfect. Straight up and down.

I've haven't used the SB3300 cutters. This is the first time I've seen them. Neither one are a long term tool. Basically disposable. I'd go with the RC1000. Just on a huntch. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Monday, December 10th 2007, 2:40pm

Thanks Mr fixit,
funny how things turn out........I thought I'd dig with my hands some and see what I had for how the elbows, etcwere before I placed my order.

Glad I did. The ground all around that area was wet, and I thought it was all from the drip.
Well, I rigged up a small gutter to divert the drip away from around the valves, and started bailing the water from around the valves, and scooping the mud and water out from aro8und the area. I got down to the tee where that bad valve was, and discovered a small crack in that tee, spraying water out of it.......

So.....I turned off the water at the curb box, and got the area cleaned out. I just put some JB Weld on that tee, hoping it will hold so I can turn the water back on for the house. I will cut and repair that pipe tomorrow.

I see what you mean about the proper spacing with the valves.......I'll order the 1" valves and use the more expensive male adapters.....no big deal. Not worth the hassle moving pipes if it is not a good fit.

So, my next question is, why don't they put a shut off somewhere for just the sprinkler system? Should I do that, or just depend on the curb box shut off if I ever need to work on things again. It seems dumb to have to turn off ALL your water to work on the system, but no where do I see a shutoff for just the sprinkler system. If I put one in, can it be above ground, or does it need to be in another curb box, underground. If I can do this, I'll post a picture of everything exposed so I can find out which one is the incoming pipe.

Thanks! Frank D.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Monday, December 10th 2007, 5:00pm

Well, it is easy to tell which is the incoming pipe.
Do people ever put shut-offs in before the main supply line gets to the valves?
Seems like it would be a good thing.

If they do, do they put it in a curb-box, because of frost or looks, or do they just use some elbows and put a valve above ground.....

The J-B weld did not hold, because the water dripping, like oozing out kept the tee wet before the j-b weld could dry, so I have the water shut off now and will replace the tee first thing in the morning, so I can turn the water back on at the main curb box and have water again in the house.

Thanks.........Frank D.

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Monday, December 10th 2007, 6:01pm

Well, I just placed my order......now I hope it gets sent via UPS to Florida.....i'm looking forward to finishing this project.....

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Tuesday, December 11th 2007, 5:20pm

This morning I fixed that bad tee, turned the water back on, and discovered another bad tee 2 valves over....
I've decided to just replace all the pipes and fittings around the valve area, the whole manifold area when the valves come in....so I guess I could have used those smaller 3/4 inch valves, since I'm re-doing everything now anyways........but I already placed the order, so it's all good.

Frank D.

Rate this thread