You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

willmy21

Sunday, September 16th 2007, 11:27am

Correct Riser Type for Hunter I-20 Rotor

I'm new to all things sprinkler related and want to thank everyone for dedicating so much time to keeping up this wonderful resource, it is packed with great information.

My question is this, I'm relocating/installing about 10 Hunter I-20 rotors in my backyard and I'm trying to determine what riser type to use. I would like to construct a 3/4" flexible swing riser, but according to the irrigationtutorial.com bible that everyone seems to treat as gospel, you aren't suppose to use this type of design for rotors, but rather a rigid arm swing riser. Plus, parts for 3/4" flexible swing risers (i.e. funny pipe and street ells) don't seem to be as readily available as 1/2". So, I'm looking for a recommendation, specifically,

Can I use a flexible swing riser instead of going with the rigid arm design for rotors? If so, do I have to use 3/4" funny pipe and fittings or can I use 1/2" materials to construct the flex swing riser? Would going with 1/2" harm the rotors' performance? My preference would be to construct a 3/4" flex swing riser, but parts seem harder to come by than 1/2" and I don't want to harm the performance of the rotor itself.

I know you guys will set me straight, so what is my best course of action. Again, thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 2:47am

need to know more information like, pressure and meter size and where the meter is located. more info the better.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

willmy21

Monday, September 17th 2007, 2:55am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimmyburg</i>
<br />need to know more information like, pressure and meter size and where the meter is located. more info the better.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The static pressure at the nearest hose bib was measured at 62 psi, the lateral runs will all be within 125' from the valves which will be about 50' from the meter. Was planning on using 1" PVC for the laterals. I couldn't find the meter size (by looking on the meter itself), but I believe the mainline (measured at the master control valve just a few feet away from the meter) is 1" PVC.

What do you think?

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:06am

how far are you setting your heads from the main line if it only a foot you wont see much difference but i would try to stay with the right parts. but i dont see a prob with the info you have given.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

willmy21

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:12am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimmyburg</i>
<br />how far are you setting your heads from the main line if it only a foot you wont see much difference but i would try to stay with the right parts. but i dont see a prob with the info you have given.

I plan on putting the rotors within 1-2' of the laterals. I would love to use 3/4" funny pipe but am having trouble finding it. Am I missing it somewhere?

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:38am

Are you a contractor? or homeowner?
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:42am

is this what you are looking for http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/category-s/228.htm. if not some irrigation supply house will sell to homeowner. you wont get our cost you will pay a little higher. I know Ewing and johndeer will. i dont know what state you are in?
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

willmy21

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:53am

<br />is this what you are looking for http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/category-s/228.htm. if not some irrigation supply house will sell to homeowner. you wont get our cost you will pay a little higher. I know Ewing and johndeer will. i dont know what state you are in?
I am a homeowner in Tennessee. I think the link you provided is probably the right fitting, but I'm not 100% certain because it doesn't state the size of the barb, I'm assuming that because the threaded end is 3/4" that the barb would accomodate 3/4" pipe as well, but I'd like to know for sure. If the barb does accomodate 3/4", why doesn't sprinklerwarehouse sell 3/4" swing pipe? I just want to follow standard industry practice here, and it doesn't seem like using 3/4" funny pipe is it. But if not, what is? Should I just bite the bullet and buy some Hunter swing joints and be done with it? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, I can't be the only person using these rotors?!

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 4:29am

well ewing has 3/4 poly pipe do you have one local ghttp://www.ewing1.com/product/p12/ews_12001020.htm
go www.ewing1.com
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

willmy21

Monday, September 17th 2007, 7:14am

<br />is this what you are looking for http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/category-s/228.htm. if not some irrigation supply house will sell to homeowner. you wont get our cost you will pay a little higher. I know Ewing and johndeer will. i dont know what state you are in?
I looked up these parts and the barb on them accomodates 1/2" pipe not 3/4". So, the question is, will I damage or force the rotor to underperform by using &lt;= 2' of 1/2" funny pipe?

What does everyone use for their swing joints for these rotors? I thought based upon my reading that they were well regarded so I'm surprised that it isn't more apparent what the proper method is. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Rate this thread