You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

willmy21

Wednesday, September 19th 2007, 2:10am

Best Option for backyard

All, I would like some input on redesigning my backyard sprinkler system. It currently has an inadequate system and I want to redesign primarily to ensure that I can begin growing a nice area of turf and that 16 newly planted trees will receive enough water (all only about 7 feet tall). The fenced backyard is a pretty nice rectangle of about 105' x 95' with the trees around the perimeter of the yard (out about 5' from the fence in all cases). The trees are stand alone, i.e. not in a big planting bed, but just have a 3' mulch ring around each of them. Other than that, they are surrounded by turf on all sides (including that 5' area between the trees and the fence). Here are my options:

Rotors Only - use nothing but rotors placed in the middle of the turf area and about 6" from the fence line. This would do a pretty good job of taking care of the turf, concern is it is pretty inefficient in that the stream from the rotors will be blocked by the trees somewhat as they rotate side to side. Also, the trees themselves will not have their own customizable zone and will only get hit with as much water as the turf area requires.

Rotors plus Spray - use 15' (half and quarter) spray heads around the perimeter (sitting 6" from the fence covering the trees and the turf area between the trees and the fence) AND place rotors just inside the trees firing out into the open turf area where they won't be blocked by the tree trunks. This would do a better job giving the open turf area what it needs and it would keep the turf between the fence and the tree line well covered and the trees would get a better covering. Downside is I still don't have a zone for just the trees themselves because they are just being fed by the spray heads that are also covering turf.

Rotors plus Drip - like the first option, place the rotors 6" from the fence and in the middle of the turf, but augment this with some kind of drip setup for each tree. This would allow the customizing for the trees that I would like, but I'm still a little concerned about the rotors being blocked by the trees in trying to feed the turf. Instead of traditional drip emitters, could I go with Hunter bubblers or multi-stream nozzles? If so, what would I need on each tree to ensure that I'm covering its entire root zone?

Sorry for the long question, but I wanted to lay as much as I could out for everyone. I think I'm leaning toward the third option, but I want to get some expert input before I go forward. Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide.

bosakie

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 5:09am

I have a similar situation. I am opting for sprays in the barked/tree area. moving the rotors out to the lawn/grass area. Some of the plants do not take kindly to water on the leaf so I am putting low sprays so I can cover the area, trees included, with the appropriate amount of water.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Friday, September 21st 2007, 9:11am

can you draw us a plot plan?
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Rate this thread