You are not logged in.

Wednesday, October 3rd 2007, 12:59pm

Problem on startup with Febco765

I am in the middle of doing my first irrigation system. I have plumbed all the way to the manifolds and did a test and to flush the water. But when I open up the outlet valve of the PVB, water comes out the top of the fixture. But if the valve is only open 3/4 of the way, no water. Is this a bad check valve? It is brand new, so I am wondering if this is normal.

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 3rd 2007, 3:57pm

Hi Pen, what you've described is totally normal. There's a float or a poppet inside there that needs the water pressure to seal. So it will leak or flood even til you open the valve up far enough to seal it. No worries.--
--
I'm just clarifying here. Do you mean it leaks when the valve is open all the way or it leaks while you're opening it and it stops leaking at approx 3/4 the way?
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wednesday, October 3rd 2007, 7:00pm

I think I figured it out. When I initially started the system, I did not have the manifold on because I wanted to flush the pipes. But when I attached the manifold with the valves closed, the PVB did not leak any water. I think it didn't have enough pressure the first time to seal.

Rate this thread