You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 10th 2007, 4:55pm

controller or module or solenoid or wiring???

hi, i have hunter's pro-c controller and i-20 sprinklers. my problem is only 2 zones (connected to main module) are working but the other zones are not. this is what i have done/found so far ---
1. manually i opened solenoids in those (non-working) zones which could successfully open sprinklers.
2. i measured volt at the controller and non-working zones show 0 volts. however, strangely, one non-working zone shows 1.1 volt.

according to hunter, in this case it could be either bad controller or bad module. my question is how can i determine whether controller or module is bad? or is it solenoid or wiring or else???

second question is i can not find one valve zone/box, any ideas to help me locate it?

thanks

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 10th 2007, 7:56pm

Ok this might take a while. I'm going under the assumption that everything used to work? I'd make sure the transformer is good. I'd reset the timer. There's a button on the back of the face plate. It's above the battery compartment. Then I'd unplug the controller. Take the backup battery out. Take the modules out. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Put the modules back in ("before" < very important), plugging the controller back in. Make sure the modules are locked into place. I'd then test the controller. Test the controller to see if it's putting out power. If you do all of this without any wires hooked up to the controller you can tell for sure if it's the controller or something else. That's a start. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Thursday, October 11th 2007, 1:57am

hi mrfixit,

thanks for your prompt response. let me respond by what i have already done so far.
1. everything used to work ok before (sometimes back though).
2. tested that transformer generates required voltage.
3. fyi, i use hunter pcm-300 expansion modules.

now plz tell me :-
a. how do you want me to unplug controller? i mean is there any on/off switch or do you want me to disconnect the three transformer wires (2 yellow and 1 green) from the controller or something else?

b. what do you mean exactly when you say -"I'd then test the controller. Test the controller to see if it's putting out power. If you do all of this without any wires hooked up to the controller you can tell for sure if it's the controller or something else."?
(In othwer words, in your prescribed process when do you want me to disconnect all module??)

appreciate again.

mrfixit

Thursday, October 11th 2007, 2:30pm

Just unplug it from the wall. Then take out the modules. Wait ten minutes. Install modules. Plug the timer back in. Turn on one of the stations you know wasn't working. Test at the terminal to see if it's working. You said only two are working on the main module. I'm assuming that's one of the first three stations that isn't working. If that's the case then your timer's bad. I would disconnect the sprinkler wire from the station number you're testing before testing.

Thursday, October 11th 2007, 3:18pm

mrfixit,

appreciate your help.

Now this is what i got after going thru some drills.

* i have verified that only the base module has power and only those zones connected to it are working. i am glad to tell you that ALL of my zones work fine IF they are connected to the base module.

* hence it seems to me that :- 1. pro-c controller/timer is working fine. 2. all solenoids are fine and 3. wiring is fine. Am i correct here???

* now, could it be the base module thru which everything passes thru? i mean, the two non-working expansion modules are not getting power because of the faulty base module?
**** So my million$ question is "How can i verify which module is faulty (i.e either A. base and/or B. expansion module(s)"??? ****

thanks again.

mrfixit

Friday, October 12th 2007, 9:58am

Did you unplug the timer and take out the modules? The pro-c wont recongnise the modules unless they're installed with the controller unplugged. You need to reset everything to verify the controller is bad. I'm assuming you have the older model pro-c. If the controller's hard wired and you can't unplug it. Yes then disconnect those three wires but don't let them touch each other. Here's your problem. If the controller is bad you'll have to buy new expansion modules as well. The re-designed pro-c is not compatible with your older modules. Big mistake by Hunter if you ask me. Supposing your modules are bad. Which I doubt. I don't know if the new modules will work in the older pro-c. I haven't tried it myself and I get different answers when I inquire about it. Some say yes and some say no. The re-designed pro-c is not compatible with your older modules. If the modules have a locking mechanism then it's the newer model pro-c. If not it's the older model. Yes it sounds like all your wiring is ok from what you've described. If you reset the controller in the manner I've described and the modules still wont work. Then it's time to replace the controller. I don't believe the base module has anything to do with it. You can't replace just that part anyway. You have to buy the whole thing.

mrfixit

Friday, October 12th 2007, 3:49pm

I see on another post you say the controller doesn't turn the pump on for the stations that aren't working. There's your answer. Each stationed can be programmed individually as to whether or not the pump comes on. If you have it programmed to pump on and it's still not working, then the controller's bad. I can say that simply because you tested each station on the main module and they worked. You also stated everything used to work which means you have the correct modules for your controller. The odds of two modules going bad at the same time in my opinion is about zilch. Once again I stress how important it is to reset everything before coming to a conclusion.

Saturday, October 13th 2007, 5:22am

mrfixit,

i have reset the system as you have described and get the same results.

next, i have the newer pro-c with the lock.

i also believe that 2 modules can not go wrong at the same time. lastly, i would like to add that it seems to me that it is possible to replace the base module. however i am puzzled that if the controller is not working correctly, why it recognizes and shows ALL stations? it also shows that zones are watering when i turn on to non-working zones.

so, is there any litmus test which tells if the controller is faulty??

thx

mrfixit

Saturday, October 13th 2007, 6:42am

Well I'm confused once again. What color are the modules? Are they grey, approx the same color as the controller door, or are they a much darker color?
--
Here, take a look at the two different modules.
A. http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?a09e5eb33f.jpg
B. http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6fae8d9079.jpg

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 2:51pm

mrfixit,

they are grey, approx the same color as the controller door.

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6fae8d9079.jpg

Rate this thread