You are not logged in.

Thursday, October 11th 2007, 6:00am

how to conduct resistance test

hi,

since last couple of months, on my hunter pro-c controller system some zones are not working at all. my voltage-measuring test shows -
A. some non-working zones having 0 volts (in any situation).
B. whereas one of them always shows 1.1 volts (whenever any zone is turned on)
C. of course, as expected, the working base module shows the correct voltages.

now i have two questions for you.

first, i have read that it is better/more reliable to conduct resistance test. therefore would u plz guide me how and where to how to conduct resistance test step-by-step? i have never conducted such test before on this system.
fyi, i use pcm-300 modules and my transformer seems working fine.

second, do i have to switch off AC power to controller if i want to connect non-working zone's wire to the working one? if yes, how can i do that? i will also appreciate details on this aspect.

plz let me know if u have any other qns.

thanks

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 11th 2007, 10:52am

here is some info: http://www.hunterindustries.com/support/installation%5Fadjustment/owner%5Fmanual/controllers/proc/proc%5Finstructions38.html

2) Test Program

The Pro-C allows the user a simplified method for running a test program. This feature operates each station in numerical sequence, from the lowest to the highest. You can start with any station. This is a great feature to check the operation of your irrigation system.

To initiate the test program:

Press and hold the button. The station number will be flashing.
Press the or button to scroll to the station you would like the test program to start with. Use the and button to set a run time of up to 15 minutes. The run time needs to be entered only once.
After a 2 second pause, the test program will begin.

3) Hunter Quick Check™

Irrigation professionals are continuously looking for ways to more efficiently and effectively diagnose programs in the field. Instead of having to physically check each field wiring circuit for potential problems, the user can run the Hunter Quick Check™ circuit test procedure. This circuit diagnostic procedure is very beneficial because of its ability to aid in quickly identifying "shorts" commonly caused by faulty solenoids or when a bare common wire touches a bare station control wire.

To initiate the Hunter Quick Check test procedure; Press the , , and buttons simultaneously. In the standby mode, the LCD will display all segments (helpful when troubleshooting display problems). Press the button to begin the Quick Check test procedure. Within seconds, the system searches all stations in an effort to detect a high current path through the station terminals. When a field wiring short is detected, an ERR symbol preceded by the station number will momentarily flash on the controller LCD display. After the Hunter Quick Check completes running this circuit diagnostic procedure, the controller returns to the automatic watering mode.

Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Friday, October 12th 2007, 8:28am

Jimmy,

i performed both tests and here are the results.

1. test program cuts-off my pump for the non-working zones, but the timer is working fine.

2. quick test shows no error whatsoever.

what is next?

thanks.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Friday, October 12th 2007, 10:01am

do you have master valve? have you checked all the valve wires on the valves? mabe some loose wire nuts? is the controller hard wired in or do you use a plug in? are the modules the same color or are the mixed?
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 2:54pm

jimmy, i do not have master valve but have a switch relay.
do not see any loose wires.
the controller is hard wired.
all modules are same color (gray with black PCM-300)

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, October 15th 2007, 3:45am

it sounds like a bad controller. do you have access to a line locater 521 or a station master? the transformer is bad or the modules are bad.

1.unplug the controller(leave off for 2min)
2.take out the modules
3.reapply the modules
4.plug in controller
5.make sure the mods are locked in

if this dosent work you can buy new mods or a new controller.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator

Rate this thread