You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

willmy21

Friday, October 12th 2007, 9:11am

Valve Box Installation

I have a 6 zone setup to install in my backyard and I'm trying to figure out how to place the valves. I would like to get them all in one rectangular valve box and I've seen pictures of others' that have done so by having three laterals exit to the left and three laterals exiting to the right with the main coming in from either the top or the bottom. Is six too many valves to fit in one box or can it reasonably be done using this or someo ther method?

Second, I don't fully understand how the laterals exit the valve box. Is the valve box resting on the laterals so they actually just run out under the box? Is there a knockout in the valve box that allows the laterals to pass through it? Do people cutout openings in the box to allow the pipes to pass through? I'm perplexed by this and don't know how it is suppose to work.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, October 12th 2007, 10:05am

As you think about trying to squeeze 6 valves into one valve box, think about the future when you will likely have to fix something. Are you going to have ANY space to work with?

As for where the pipes go, I think the most common is under the bottom lip of the box. But you don't want the box to rest ON the pipes. What you want to do is dig the hole for the valve box about 4 inches deeper than the box. Then lay the pipes on the ground at the bottom of the hole, lay down a 4" layer of gravel (crushed stone, not smooth stone like pee gravel) and then place the box on top of the gravel.

willmy21

Friday, October 12th 2007, 10:08am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HooKooDooKu</i>
<br />As you think about trying to squeeze 6 valves into one valve box, think about the future when you will likely have to fix something. Are you going to have ANY space to work with?

As for where the pipes go, I think the most common is under the bottom lip of the box. But you don't want the box to rest ON the pipes. What you want to do is dig the hole for the valve box about 4 inches deeper than the box. Then lay the pipes on the ground at the bottom of the hole, lay down a 4" layer of gravel (crushed stone, not smooth stone like pee gravel) and then place the box on top of the gravel.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So the crushed rock is laying on top of and between the pipe and then the box sits on top of that same rock?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, October 12th 2007, 5:50pm

Correct. That will relieve a LOT of the pressure that would be on the tops of the pipes if you tried to support the box directly on the pipes.

Rate this thread