You are not logged in.

frankrey1

Starting Member

Monday, March 10th 2008, 7:25pm

Please explain what a manifold is

What exactly is a manifold? I am reading the irrigation tutorials and cant seem to figure out what it is. I realize that you can make your own or buy valve manifolds. I have read on the tutorial that valves can be put close together or farther out in the system. I believe I understand the concept of the valve manifolds that you can buy. The main line would hook up to the valve manifold and all the laterals would come off of that. Where I get confused is if you didnt use the valve manifold. For example let's say I will need three zones and I didn't want to group my valves all together. I want to put my valves in single valve boxes closer to the zones they will be operating. In this case where would the manifold be? Could someone give me an idea of what a manifold might look like in this case? What materials are normally used? Sorry for the rookie question but I just can't seem to picture this.Thanks in advance.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 11th 2008, 2:48pm

A manifold is really just a bunch of valves collected in one place.

When you talk about manifolds that you buy, that's usually talking about the pipes that can be assymboled without "gluing" a bunch of pieces togethere to form your manifold.

When you build a manifold your self, you just have to cut all the pipes yourself, and it can be a process that takes MANY hours (because you have to get the pipe lengths just right, all the pipes need to roughly line up, and every glue joint takes about 2 minutes to do when consider you have to prime the joint, let the primer dry, apply the glue, put the pieces together, hold them for 15-30 seconds to let the glue setup, etc).

But with a distributed system like you are describing, there is no "maniflod". The closest thing you would have that you might have what you could call a manifold would be if the Tees that feed each of the valves were all located in a central spot. But I would assume you really plan on something like a single mainline that sort of circules the yard, and you just tie the valve into this mainline at the point you want the valve.

Of course for a really large system, you might still have a mainline circuling the yard and have multiple manifolds located in different locations. A perfect example of this would be if you had a system with say 4 zones in the front yard and 4 zones in the back yard. Near the point of connection in the front yard, you might have the manifold for the front yard. But you then extend the mainline to the back yard and have a second manifold back there for the back yard.

HTH

Rate this thread