You are not logged in.

Larry Y

Unregistered

Monday, March 24th 2008, 9:19am

Help Me Please

I just installed my first sprinkler system and when i was done i installed my timer. now the problem is i open my manuall control on the valvue the water comes on and when i go inside to manually run that valve the timer comes on and the water turns off so i went and turned off the valve manually went inside and turned the station on manually and no water comes out so when the box is on and the vavle is manally on it turns off the valve how can i fix this or does the manuall valve have to be open should it be closed help me please

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, March 24th 2008, 11:33am

SHORT ANSWER: The manual control has to be 'off' for automatic operation via the controller.

LONG ANSWER: Under the knob you turn for manual operation is a pilot hole. When this pilot hole is open, water flowing through the pilot hole turns the 'real' valve on to allow lots of water to flow. When the pilot hole is closed, the lack of water flowing through the pilot hole turns the 'real' valve off. (This is why there can be a delay between the time the valve is turned off and the water quits flowing).

When you turn the knob 'on' for manual operation, you are basically lifting the cap that closes the pilot hole. When you turn the knob 'off', you are pushing the cap back down sealing the pilot hole.

Inside that same knob is a solenoid. Normally, a spring is pushing the solenoid down to seal the cap over the pilot hole. But when the controller sends power to the valve, it lifts the solenoid to unseal the cap to allow water to flow through the pilot hole. When power is removed from the solenoid, the spring pushes the solenoid back down on the cap to seal the pilot hole. I'm guessing that when you manually turn the knob 'on' AND activate the solenoid from the controller, the solenoid must be getting pushed the wrong way and pushing down, resealing the cap over the pilot hole (at least that's the only explanation I can come up with why turning both 'on' results in turning the water 'off').

mrfixit

Monday, March 24th 2008, 11:49am

Tricky one.

Hi Larry. I've never seen this happen. Here's a wild guess. Perhaps you're not turning on "that" valve at the timer but turning on another valve in a different part of the yard that you're not noticing? This way maybe you have two valves running at once so the sprinklers drop giving the impression of turning off? Maybe you've wired the valves incorrectly so multiple valves are trying to come on at once?
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Mar 24th 2008, 11:57am)

rob4bek

Sunday, April 13th 2008, 12:18pm

imperail valet system

Hi i'm am new to this. I have an imperial valet system. We can not turn on any zone from the controller.
And for zone one and 2 we must take out the pin from the thing in the ground. What are we doing wrong. pleae help if you can.

mrfixit

Sunday, April 13th 2008, 12:51pm

Hard to tell from here.

Hi Rob, what you've described could be a number of things. We already know the valves have water because you can turn them on manually at the valve so nobody has turned the water off.

It could very well be that old controller you have but not necessarily.

It could be a broken ground wire. That ground wire attaches to all the valves.

It's hard to tell from here. You'll need to be able to test the controller and wiring at the valves.

Also the two valves that only operate manually by taking out the pin probaby have bad diaphragms or plugged ports. Could be stuck plungers.

You'll probably need to hire someone. This wont be an easy fix for someone new to sprinkler repair.

Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

rob4bek

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 8:50am

RE: Hard to tell from here.

Hi Rob, what you've described could be a number of things. We already know the valves have water because you can turn them on manually at the valve so nobody has turned the water off.

It could very well be that old controller you have but not necessarily.

It could be a broken ground wire. That ground wire attaches to all the valves.

It's hard to tell from here. You'll need to be able to test the controller and wiring at the valves.

Also the two valves that only operate manually by taking out the pin probaby have bad diaphragms or plugged ports. Could be stuck plungers.

You'll probably need to hire someone. This wont be an easy fix for someone new to sprinkler repair.

Good luck!
Thank :) you for your help I have someone coming out soon. Thanks

Rate this thread