You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MCROWNOVER

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 25th 2008, 2:29pm

Temperature Sensort

I am looking for a product that could control the flow of water into a irrigation at a specified temperature.

Does anyone know of a product that could accomplish this?

MCROWNOVER

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 25th 2008, 2:36pm

What I mean to say is...

Is there a pre-existing product available that can control the flow of water into an irrigation system with the use of a thermostat?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:17am

What I mean to say is...

Is there a pre-existing product available that can control the flow of water into an irrigation system with the use of a thermostat?
No, there isn't, per se. Irrigation is not a temperature-driven quantity. It is driven by soil moisture requirements.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:10pm

well,

they do make a tempeture sensor to stop the water from flowing if it is too cold outside, but not the water tempeture. Hope this helps.

www.irrigationsolutions.com

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 3:16pm

It sounds like you are talking about wanting to vary the amount of water based on temperature (basically, water more in the heat of the summer, but water less in the cool of spring and fall).

The fundimental issue with that is going to be the fact that the way general purpose irrigation sensors are going to work is that the prevent the system from running when some given condition exists. All of these sensors basically get installed inline with the common wire running to all of the valves. In the case of a rain sensor, the sensor basically opens a switch when there is water in the sensor. So even if the irrigation system turns 'ON', the sensor overrides that and keeps it turned off. Same thing with wind, soil moisture, and temperature sensors. All of these sensors effectively break the common wire when it's too windy, the soil already has enough moisture, or the temperature is too cold.

To automatically vary the amount of water based on air temperature, you would need a special controller that has a dedicated temperature sensor (or perhaps connected to the internet where it can download weather forcasts) and has been programmed to automatically make the adjustments based on weather conditions.

Otherwise, the closest thing you will find is the soil moisture sensor. As I said, they basically prevent the irrigation system from running when ever the soil already has enough moisture.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 28th 2009, 8:02am

Hunter solar sync

This is a new product that I just installed. It does not reduce the flow, but it does adjust the minutes on the irrigation schedule. You set it based on July 31 minutes on the schedule (Worst case scenario), and it adjust for temperature. It also uses rain sensor, temperature gauge, freeze gauge, and ET data based on past temperatures for your region. It is fairly inexpensive retail 100ish. It will only work with the hunter Pro-C, and ICC, or better.

Check it out.

I have installed only 1, and I am curious to see the result.

Dan :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

h20

Unregistered

Monday, April 6th 2009, 1:59pm

Temperature Sensor to Control Irrigation...

MCROWNOVER:
In the past temperature hasn't been used to control irrigation, mainly because irrigation was seasonal, ie, when summer was approaching the automated system was manually turned on, and after summer it was manually turned off.
The LawnCheck Internet based irrigation system lets you control irrigation based on temperatures. For example if it is cooler than the "cool" temperature level that you set, the irrigation will not turn on. You can also have a "hot" cycle so that if the temperature is warmer than the temperature that you specify, a cycle will automatically turn on.
You were most likely looking for a sensor to apply to your current controller, and if that is the case you'll most likely have to have one custom made or you'll have to make one yourself. Temperature control of irrigation is a good idea, and when it's incorporated into a system it can provide good results at a low cost.
h20,

Rate this thread