You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mollye

Monday, March 31st 2008, 7:46pm

Controller/Hunter/Pro-C

Just in the process of ordering a controller. I have a well and I'm looking at the Hunter Pro-c. My question......I'm going to hook up my pump starter low voltage wires and my master valve low voltage to the same terminal. Will that work? Does that termainal have enough capacity. The nomenclature on the power module reads PR/Master.. implying one or the other or.... is that Both? All thee other station terminals can run up to 3 zone valves? Should work ...right? I'm using hunter zone valves and have checked the current draw on them and a hunter master valve along with a Hunter PR 22 Starter relay. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mollye" (Mar 31st 2008, 8:19pm)

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, March 31st 2008, 8:37pm

You can't assume, you've got to look at the specifications for your equipment.

And I must admit, I don't know where Hunter is getting its information on the controller being able to support the equivalent output of three valves at one time. If you look at their numbers closely, three Hunter HPV valves technically goes over their own specifications.

The Hunter HPV:
0.37 amps in-rush current (current required to open a valve) and a holding current of 0.19 amps
0.19 amps holding current (current required to keep the valve open)

I then looked up the specification on the Pro-C:
0.56 amps per zone (I assume that is holding current since 0.19x3=0.57 amps, 0.01 amps above the per zone spec)
0.28 amps on the pump relay connection
1.0 amps Transformer capacity.

So for starters, if the control already has a pump relay connection, why not use it. I would imaging the controller is designed to first start the pump and give it a little bit of time to build up pressure before turning any of the valve on. If so, it would seem that connecting your pump to the connection designed for it would be best.

But if you are not... well I can only ASSUME the 'master' zone has the same 0.56 amp capacity of the other zones (it's not listed separately in the specifications). That would seem to indicate that if you are using a Hunter valve for your master valve, then you've got 0.37 amps left over for a pump relay.

However, keep in mind that it says the transformer has an output of 1.0 amps. That means the current of the pump relay, the master valve, and the zone valves on a single zone can not total more than 1.0 amps. (Perhaps even less since you need to account for some current running the controller).

But once again, Hunter is a little shy on the specs, but apparently you can go over the specs, at least a little, because their own marketing material does.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "HooKooDooKu" (Mar 31st 2008, 10:32pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:11am

RE: Controller/Hunter/Pro-C

Just in the process of ordering a controller. I have a well and I'm looking at the Hunter Pro-c. My question......I'm going to hook up my pump starter low voltage wires and my master valve low voltage to the same terminal. Will that work? Does that termainal have enough capacity. The nomenclature on the power module reads PR/Master.. implying one or the other or.... is that Both? All thee other station terminals can run up to 3 zone valves? Should work ...right? I'm using hunter zone valves and have checked the current draw on them and a hunter master valve along with a Hunter PR 22 Starter relay. :thumbsup:
You don't directly connect a pump to a sprinkler controller. You connect a pump relay to the pump/master-valve terminal of the controller, and then the pump relay connects to the pump. If this pump operates only when the sprinklers are on, then a master valve might be redundant.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 11:16am

RE: Controller/Hunter/Pro-C

...The nomenclature on the power module reads PR/Master.. implying one or the other or...

I did not pay close enough attention to this part of the initial post. When I looked up the specs for the Hunter Pro-C, something in the specs made it sound like there was perhaps a terminal for a Master Valve AND as SEPERATE Pump Relay terminal.

But if there is only one terminal for both, then the specifications appear to indicate that the total current draw on that terminal is 0.28 amps. So if you are going to have a Pump Relay AND a master valve, the two of them together can not draw more than 0.28 amps. So based on the spec of 0.19 amps, that would only leave 0.09 amps left for a pump relay... so that sounds like the terminal does NOT have the capacity for both a Pump Relay AND a Master Valve.

mollye

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 6:31pm

Pro-c Won't do the job!

Thanks guys for your input! I received a response from Hunter Tech support on my query.....Here it is Thanks again! Thank you for contacting Hunter Technical Support.

The P/MV terminal can only operate one of your options, either the PSR or the Master Valve, but not both. When the Pro-C indicates it can operate up to 3 valves at one time, it is referring to 2 irrigation valves and either a PSR or a Master Valve. There is no way out of this with the Pro-C controller. Look at the ICC controller where you can operate your PSR from the P/MV terminal and put your Master Valve on Program D and put your station or irrigation valves on Program A. It will do it.

Please click on the link below for information on the ICC Controller.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products…s/iccintro.html

Technical Support
Hunter Industries