You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dchapman81

Starting Member

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 1:32am

Is it bad watering at night?

I have 2 of my automatic timers set for 9pm and 10pm at night, and around 4am. Is it bad to have 2 start times? Should I not water my lawn & plants/shrubs at night? If I should water, what time of evening/night should I set them for? I live in Southern Arizona if it helps any. 8o

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dchapman81" (Apr 7th 2008, 12:12am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 1:09pm

4 AM would be more customary. You generally count back from when you want the sprinkling to end, and then work out your starting time.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 9:13pm

It's generally considered a bad idea to water at night because it can promote the growth of various diseases.

Sure, it rains at night too... but not every night at 10 o'clock three times a week.

The prefered thing to do is water in the pre-dawn hours so that 1st morning light can quickly dry the surface of the grass and reduce the odds of promoting the growth of diseases.

JimLewis

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 4:32pm

Sorry, I know I am bringing up an old topic. But new people might look this up so I wanted to add something.

First of all, like the others have said, it's a bad idea to water at night. And like HooKoo said, it's mainly because it promotes disease and insects. Specifically, watering at night isn't the problem. The problem is watering on WARM SUMMER NIGHTS! When it's above 60-70 degrees at night, and you add water to the mix, now you have the perfect breeding ground for insects and disease.

Watering early morning is best. Typically 6am-9am depending on how hot it is. If it is really hot in your climate, might want to start closer to 6.
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon

Portland Oregon Sprinkler Repair

debo

Monday, March 23rd 2009, 1:19pm

Sorry, I know I am bringing up an old topic. But new people might look this up so I wanted to add something.

First of all, like the others have said, it's a bad idea to water at night. And like HooKoo said, it's mainly because it promotes disease and insects. Specifically, watering at night isn't the problem. The problem is watering on WARM SUMMER NIGHTS! When it's above 60-70 degrees at night, and you add water to the mix, now you have the perfect breeding ground for insects and disease.

Watering early morning is best. Typically 6am-9am depending on how hot it is. If it is really hot in your climate, might want to start closer to 6.

I have seen people in Tx run them at night without issues. I have seen turf comps do at night and be fine. I myself run at 4 am but wonder about this debate.

You can inject ferts into the system so I do not buy the only in the mornings.

Zhukov

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 16th 2014, 2:11pm

This is an old debate, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. As a homeowner in central Texas, it's impossible to NOT water at night. For one thing, the temps overnight rarely drop below 80 in the summertime. Another factor is the watering restrictions imposed on us during our (more often than not) droughts. I only have a certain window in which to water, and the suggestions are to water in 4 cycles with a 120 minute soak between start times. Our soil is clay, so I have to do many cycles with short run times.

I have NOT had disease and/or pest issues for the past 20 years.