You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gh1120

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 10:27am

Placement of valve manifold

I'm trying to figure out the best overall location of the manifold/valve box. Before I continue, a little background. Although not inplace today, within the next 6 months I will be installing a paver walkway on the side of the house. This will be about 6 ft away for the house creating a planting bed between the house and the walkway. This is the side of the house were the water feed will be and the PVB backflow preventer. The valves on this side of the house will be servicing 6-7 valves and the main line will continue around the back to the other side of the house to pick up another manifold.

The question is concerning the placement of the mainfold/vavle box. Are there any issues with placing the valve box closer to the foundation inside the walkway and in the bed area. This will mean I will have the laterial/zone feeds going under the area were the walkway will eventually be as well as the main line have to go under to continue around the other side. The other option is to have the valve box on the outside of the walkway area which means only one pipe going under walkway area. What I don't like about this is two large vavle boxes clearly visible right next to the walkway in the main lawn area. But not sure if this would be better.

Any questions or feedback would be helpful. ?(

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 6:51pm

I would put in Sleeves when you put in the walk way with pavers 3" or 4" Schedule 40. You may need them for drainage or sprinkler pipes or outdoor lighting.

I would put the valves in a place that you don't mind looking at everyday. A place that you don't mind company looking at. A place that if you have to dig up or have a leak it won't be inconvenient to get to.

Once the sleeves are in place it shouldn't matter too much. If you have to put the irrigation in first you can set the sleeves now.

Always have a plan when possible.

Dan Todd
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

gh1120

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 8:10pm

Thanks Hi.Todd. Is there any benefit or is it advisable to put stone around the sleeves to add protection?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, April 21st 2008, 8:15am

I would not spend the money or effort to put stone around the sleeves, but mark on a plan where they are for future reference.

Also if there is stone around the sleeves and you need to dig down to the sleeves the first thing you will have to go through is the rock which can be difficult. The rock also may give you a surface to break pipe on.

Dan
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, April 21st 2008, 9:49pm

If you use 4" Schedule 40 PVC buried 18" below the surface for a sleeve, foot traffic will be no problem. If you were building a driveway, the only thing you would need to do is encase it in a bed of sand.

BTW, I suggest 18" with the assumption that you will have at least one mainline pipe running through this sleeve. Mainline pipes (unless metal) are supposed to be buried 18". If you are going to have a bunch of lateral lines and don't plan on burying them that deep, perhaps you'll want to install a couple of sleeves. The other thing to make sure is that the desired number of and size of pipes will fit in the sleeve(s) you install.

gh1120

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 5:36am

Thanks everyone. I'm doing this work this weekend so if I have any problems I'll be sure to post.

Rate this thread