You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

caad3

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 5:15pm

Replacing Old Controller with new Hunter Pro-C - Compatability issues?

Hi Everyone,

I was planning on changing my old hydro rain controller (or something like that) with a hunter proc-c electronic controller. Will I have a compatability problem, or will I have to just rewire the 3 zones I have to the new controller box. The old box sounds like a ticking bomb, and you can hear it from the other room. Thanks for any insight members may have.

James

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 8:04pm

Ticking bomb

Since you can hear your controller ticking I'm going to assume it's mechanical as opposed to digital. Is this your controller? http://www.coastwaterworks.com/irrigation_3/irrigation_manuals/HRM4-6-i.pdf

If so, no worries. Just hook the existing wires up to the correct terminals. Ground to ground, or common. 1 to 1.. 2 to 2.. 3 to 3.. You're done. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 25th 2008, 6:18am

That's a Richdel controller you linked. Hydro-Rain and Richdel were bought out by Hardie, and they swapped labels on a lot of the products they kept manufacturing. There was also a 12-zone Richdel electromechanical controller that was sold with the Hydro-Rain label.

mrfixit

Friday, April 25th 2008, 11:41am

TY Boots.

I chose the most logical controller to run 3 stations. You're right though. Maybe it's this monster. Supposing it is. Maybe you could tell us if the pro-C is compatble with what the man wants to do.

http://www.coastwaterworks.com/irrigation_3/irrigation_manuals/HRM-12.pdf
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:40am

Shouldn't be a problem using a Pro C as a replacement. The wild card is that old electromechanical controllers had much higher current limits. There will be some old valves with solenoids that some modern controllers can't power.

Big Dog

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 6:27am

Only seen 1 valve that was not complatible, that was a 110v system, ever other valve has worked fine some were as old as 30 years old

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 9:28am

Only seen 1 valve that was not complatible, that was a 110v system, ever other valve has worked fine some were as old as 30 years old
Imperial valves with 24VAC coils will easily overload modern controllers, unless you use something heavy-duty like a Hunter ICC. Imperial controllers used a 50 VA transformer, more than twice the capacity of the 20 VA transformers used with most entry-level controllers of today.

Big Dog

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 1:23pm

I've never come across those valve so you're proably right

Rate this thread