You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gh1120

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 8:33pm

transitioning from cpvc to pvc to feed PVB backflow

Trying to figure out where is the best place to transition from cpvc to pvc to feed the PVB preventer outside. Here's the situation. I have CPVC coming out of the meeting (well actually a short piece of copper that transitioned to cpvc). This is 3/4" Cpvc. I'm planning on installing a new tee (CPVC) into the up line, and on the new leg, install a ball vavle then an elbow to angle up toward the beams to go eventually go thru the rim board to the house side. At what point does it make sense to transition to the pvc to go to the outside? on the up leg, just before going outside,?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 8:56pm

If I understand your question, I would get rid of the CPVC as early in the system as you can.
Go sch 40 PVC to the backflow preventer. In Houston that is what I would do. We don't get much freezing weather here.

Dan Todd
:thumbsup:

As you can tell, I just don't like CPVC. PVC Good.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 8:47am

Before I make a suggestion, I'm first going to explain my assumptions so that my suggestion makes scence.

You have 1" PVC or 3/4" copper bringing water from the street to your house. (If it's PVC, it transistions to copper at just outside the house because plumbing codes require metal or CPVC for water lines inside the house... in otherwords PVC is good for direct burial, but not for exposed areas). After comming into the house, it transisions to 3/4" CPVC to distribute in the house.

I would suggest that you either tie into the water line in that small section of copper, or better yet, outside in the front yard. For one, that will maximize your flow capacity. 3/4" CPVC has a smaller inside diameter than 3/4" copper. And if there is 1" PVC in the front yard that you can tie into, then you should have enough capacity that you can feed the irrigation system and not severly impact flow capacity in the house (a 1" pipe can carry twice as much water as a 3/4" pipe). This will also reduce water noise in the house since the water doesn't have to flow inside the house to irrigate the lawn.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 25th 2008, 6:13am

Codes don't like PVC pressure pipes in houses, so you'd probably use all CPVC to the backflow preventer. That way, you have no transition to worry about.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, April 25th 2008, 8:01am

Good to know, I get so focused on outside. I really did not think about inside. CPVC is not something I come in contact with much because I am outside.

Thanks

Grasshopper Todd

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

gh1120

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 8:55pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. Let me address some of the open questions and let you know what I ended up doing. first, The water pipe before the water meeter is 3/4 flex. Don't know what's in the ground outside from the water company. I have seen some of my neighbors who had PVC (not cpvc) after tapping in running the full length of the basement to exit the other side of the house. Some other information I saw indicated PVC from allowed for a certain lenght (I think 5'). I ended up putting a cpvc tee, then on the new leg putting a ball tee, then going to a adapter to PVC. The PVC was on about 2 feet (if that before existing) to the PVB outside.

Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 6:33am

I have seen some of my neighbors who had PVC (not cpvc) after tapping in running the full length of the basement to exit the other side of the house.
I've seen it as well. It is cheaper than copper by a long shot, but somewhere, it was pointed out that licensed plumbers never use PVC for pressure pipe in houses. I doubt that it makes a big difference. I always preferred copper for not being able to melt and flood a basement, if there was some small fire. CPVC would probably melt as quick as PVC would.