You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Plaz

Starting Member

Friday, April 25th 2008, 8:12pm

Does mulch affect satisfactory drip fertilization?

I have about 3 inches of mulch covering the base of my plants. My drip system emitters are located below the mulch.
If I sprinkle granular fertilizers on top of the mulch won't the water flowing below the mulch result in insufficient fertilizer reaching the plant roots when the plants are watered?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 10:26pm

Books I have on growing roses indicate that granular fertilizer needs to be worked into the soil a little bit, that it's ineffective if it's not in contact with the soil. Instructions are to pull back the mulch, spread the fertilizer onto moist soil, then work it into the soil with a hand cultivator (the tool with the three turned forks) and replace mulch.

Rate this thread