You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bigbat

Starting Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 5:16pm

buying a new system/what questions should I ask

Live in Northern climate on 1/3 acre. Am being quoted a Hunter Pro Spray system w/ Hunter PGP Rotors and PGV valves, a Pro C timer, a rain sensor and a RPZ backflow. Only thing I understand is the word "quote" everything else is clueless to me.

The best price is not the lowest price. I need a contractor that is reliable and will service my system. But I do not want to get ripped off either. Can someone give me a guesstimate as to how much this system should run. 33 mist heads. Want to make sure I am not being charged a Cadillac for a chevy system.

What other questions/options should I ask of my contractor.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 28th 2008, 7:30am

No guesstimates for unknown locations. The best choice might actually look like a ripoff on paper, but some installers really support the work they do, and that time allotted to support comes off their bottom line.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, April 28th 2008, 8:56pm

I would check to see if the Installation company is licensed if it is required in your State. I would check with the BBB, and I would ask for 3 references for similar type of work.

If you really want to get into their business ask them where they buy the material at and check up on them from that end of it.

How long have they been in business? How long will the job take. Don't pay until the job is complete to your satisfaction. Don't Give more than 300.00 deposit if any at all.

What is the company credentials?

What kind of permit is required for your city and how will it be handled?

Who will call utilities to get located? Do they have general liability insurance and can you see a copy of it?

That should be enough to weed out the jokers.

Good Luck?

Any reputable company will be happy to provide you with that information as it will help to justify a fair price.

:thumbsup:

Dan
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

IH8NYyanks

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 1:48pm

The product the contractor has specified is good quality professional product that should give you many years of reliable service, if installed correctly. Just as it is important that the components of the system will work reliably, it is equally important that the design of the system will work for your particular landscape. Proper design ensures the following:
  1. The even application of water through out the system. No zone should have mixed heads. spray heads, rotor heads, and drip irrigation all have very different precipitation rates and should never be mixed on the same zone.
  2. The ability to apply the correct amount of water to areas that have different watering needs through the use of zones (control valves) For example your foundation plantings and turf-grass have very different watering requirements and should be put on different zones rather than watering them together. If they are watered together one of two things will happen one area will get too much or too little water eventually resulting in dead plant material. Sun exposure, soil type, grade/slope, & type of plant should all be taken into account when zoning an irrigation system.
These are just a few things that a professional irrigation contractor will take in to consideration. Proper design is the difference between an irrigation system and a sprinkler system. The irrigation system will apply the right amount of water where and when you need it. A sprinkler system throws water around. What questions can you ask that may clue you in as to whether you are going to purchase a well designed system? Ask the contractors the following.
  1. What is my water pressure?
  2. How many gallons per minute will this system be able to distibute.
  3. Are my planting beds zoned separately from the grass?
If the contractor stutters on any of these questions you may need to reconsider doing business with him/her.

Hope this helps

Rate this thread